• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifting with a NP242 Transfercase & low pinion Dana 30

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I own a 2000XJ and have heard that you can run into trouble putting a lift kit on these models because of the low pinion axle. I have also been told that if a Selec-Trac transfer case, (which I have) that I will definately have to shim the transfer case. I am thinking of putting only a 3 inch lift and was wondering how much of a problem I will run into with these two issues. I am going to go with the heavy duty lift from Old Man Emu. Thanks

The front shaft shouldnt be an issue at all,and for some reason the 242's seem to have less problems than the 231's.

I have a 2000 with 4-4.5" of lift, 242, and LP 30. I've had no problems with the front drive shaft, TC is not lowered or shimmed but I did do an SYE for the rear.

I am switching to a HP housing once I regear (soon), but the 242 is staying.

i did a 3" to avoid any probs and stay away from the wallet. been there done that.(will probably do it again someday). no problems whatsoever. no vibes.
mike 2000

Ive got about 5.5", same jeep and everything. No vibes in the rear with the stock driveshaft. at 3" you wont have to mess with anything, its not tall enought to cause vibes in the front, if you go higher then 3" youll want a HP up front, easy swap while your doing the suspension and if you find a decent one in a junkyard, they usually dont cost much.

Back