• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory gas tank skid reinforcement?

GroversXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend I picked up a factory gas tank skid plate from a wreckage yard and was searching around the fourum if most felt that it was strong enough or if additional support needed to be welded onto it to stand up to wheelin. I didn't find much info on it but a piucture of what I think it was ChuckD did to his factory skid.
Whats your opinion, more strength needed, or just fine stock? :confused:

Thanks ChuckD for the info, I'll have to find BillAVista's tech and look at what he did.
So far I have been very cautious off-road because I don't have many skids. I now have acquired the gas tank, an oil pan and will be making a tranny skid soon to keep my rig alive.
Has anyone/who else has modified their factory gas tank skid to beef it up? Do you put a spacer between it and the frame rail to space it a little farther away from the gas tank to allow small dents to not dammage the actual tank? Let me know. Thanks.

I kept mine stock and havent really had a problem with it. I have a few dents but nothing thats worth my time pounding out and reinforcing. I guess that one that one really big hit happens I will do something about it.

AARON

I think that factory gas tank skid is fine the way it is, I have hit mine several times with no significant damage/dents. I think it would take quite a fall off a large rock to large rock to dent it significantly and even then it would probably stop the rock from cracking the tank.

However, it would not take too much to strengthen it as long as you do not mind the extra work of cleaning the skid, welding it, and painting again before installing. I would not space it any farther away from the tank than necessary.

Having said all that, I have seen some skids from certain parts of the country that are almost rusted through. These need some reinforcement!!
Michael

Living out in the desert in CA I dont worry too much about rust usually but I got my skid while I was visiting family in Utah last week and there is some rust on the skid but I think most of it is surface only. I may weld on a little support as its already off and I need to clean up the rust and repaint anyways.
Has anyone had a problem with water collecting in the skid and rusting out the tank? The jeep in the wreckage yard I pulled my skid off of looked like the skid was holding water at times because just certain parts were rusty and after dropping the skid there was a pin sized hole in the gas tank that old fuel was dripping from. I think the rust was plugging the hole until I removed the skid.

Back