• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STUUpid question

YETI

NAXJA Forum User
Just gotta ask. Why is it that the tire size of choice is 35's. Rarely do you see the 37+ come into play. I know that there are those out there with larger but it seems the majority runs 35's.

Guess having a TJ w/ the new new norm being 37's I was just curious.

See told you its a stuupid question.

YETI said:
Just gotta ask. Why is it that the tire size of choice is 35's. Rarely do you see the 37+ come into play. I know that there are those out there with larger but it seems the majority runs 35's.

Guess having a TJ w/ the new new norm being 37's I was just curious.

There is no such thing as a stupid question (well, maybe that is arguable). I think it has to do with cost of modifications in general to fit certain and the type of vehicle you are talking about.

A XJ can fit 31's for really cheap and handle them well.
to fit 33's you will spend some money but not necessarily need major mods other than minor reinforcement and lift.

to fit 35's you need new axles, bigger brakes, reinforce the unibody. However once you have done that for the 35's you will probably start to see more 37's or 38's on them.

Other issue is that in my mind every length wheelbase has a perfect size tire. A xj is about right on 33's or 35's. If you want to go bigger you will start to see more people extending the wheelbase. (TJ owners might not agree with me on this, but I think it has its arguments).

Michael

2xtreme said:
There is no such thing as a stupid question (well, maybe that is arguable). I think it has to do with cost of modifications in general to fit certain and the type of vehicle you are talking about.

A XJ can fit 31's for really cheap and handle them well.
to fit 33's you will spend some money but not necessarily need major mods other than minor reinforcement and lift.

to fit 35's you need new axles, bigger brakes, reinforce the unibody. However once you have done that for the 35's you will probably start to see more 37's or 38's on them.

Other issue is that in my mind every length wheelbase has a perfect size tire. A xj is about right on 33's or 35's. If you want to go bigger you will start to see more people extending the wheelbase. (TJ owners might not agree with me on this, but I think it has its arguments).

Michael
Yep. I couldn't have said it better.
Psst...Do you think the TJ owners are compensating for something? :laugh:

YETI said:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions.

I don't know, anybody try purgatory at Badlands on 33's? There was no way I was doing it. SWB's on 35's struggled enough to make that obvious to me. I figure I would need 36-37 to go for that. Just bringing this up in reference to the comment about right tire for the wheelbase.

Has anybody done it? If so I'm goin back this weekend to give it a shot, body be damned.

BajaJeremy said:
I don't know, anybody try purgatory at Badlands on 33's? There was no way I was doing it. SWB's on 35's struggled enough to make that obvious to me. I figure I would need 36-37 to go for that. Just bringing this up in reference to the comment about right tire for the wheelbase.

Has anybody done it? If so I'm goin back this weekend to give it a shot, body be damned.

The sawzall is your friend, time to chop away the sheet metal:D

AARON

BajaJeremy said:

hell, go give it a shot. if i thought "body be damned," I'd have been in there some time ago defying gravity on my 33's. I really think it can be done with driver disregard or skill.

Pat

BajaJeremy said:

I am not saying that anything can be done on 33's. I am saying that there is a best tire for the truck/wheelbase. In my opinion running larger than 35's the wheelbase should start to get longer.

Michael

Back