• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at an MJ

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at a 1989 MJ that a guy has for sale on another board. He could even be on this board I am not sure. Here are the specs that I know:
1989 MJ all stock
Short Bed
4.0 w/256k (unsure if has been rebuilt but still says it runs strong)
Auto (rebuilt) w/lifetime warraty
2wd
A/C
interior looks exclent

Asking price is $2000

Pics:
site1015.JPG

site1016.JPG

site1017.JPG

Let me know what you guys think

2 wheel drive thats no fun. But it is a truck and its a jeep I would go for it price is a little high for me but I'm not looking to buy a truck already have one.

Looks pretty damned nice, actually. Might want to check with other MJ owners, see how they like theirs. The one's I've seen (and granted, all kinds of mods) have done great on the trails.

Looks very nice but IMHO with 2WD it's a $1200 to $1500 truck. $2000 is too high w/o 4WD

Nice truck, I think it is an "elimator" based on the bucket seats. But must have been painted. $2000 is a ball park depenting on engine condition.

Why must that have been painted? I had a 'Colorado Red' 89 that I sold in 2000 but the paint was still in great shape other than the Arizona Pinstriping. That color didn't seem to suffer from the oxidation and clearcoat peeling that other late 80s Chrysler products were afflicted with.

Yucca-Man said:
Why must that have been painted? I had a 'Colorado Red' 89 that I sold in 2000 but the paint was still in great shape other than the Arizona Pinstriping. That color didn't seem to suffer from the oxidation and clearcoat peeling that other late 80s Chrysler products were afflicted with.

I am going to guess the "eliminator" that was mentioned didnt come in red.

I would agree that 2 grand is a bit high. I just got an 89 XJ 2dr 4WD auto w/233K. It needs some luv and tire dressing to shine like the MJ, but I paid $800 for it.

I agree that it's been repainted... not very smooth. Look at the reflections on the side of the truck in the "nose shot"...

And with 250k on the clock, it deserves it! Otherwise, I'd say it looks like it's in great shape... the interior shows that more than the exterior, which could have had significant reworking before the paint job. And, mechanically, something with that many miles is a crap shoot. It depends on how well the prior owner(s) kept it.

Still probably overpriced for a 2wd.

Den

Washington plates. XJs and MJs run a bit higher in western Washington than other places and, if its been here all its life, it probably doesn't have any rust problems. Just plan on always having to fix something because of the mileage.

PaulJ said:
Just plan on always having to fix something because of the mileage.

You can only fix so much before its new right? He said it has new brakes, just had a tune up and the auto trasmission has been replaced and the new one that has a liftime warranty. He is unsure if the engine has been rebuilt. But I plan on swaping a new one it (4.6 stroker [?HO maybe?] :worship:) once the engine is dead. I plan on reworking the brakeing system when I do the WJ brake booster, MC, and front calipers. Then I plan reworking the 35 and putting some discs on. Then once I get cooling problems update the closed system to an open system or completly rework the closed system. And becasue its a 2wd I wouldnt plan on converting becasue it will be my DD (XJ is the toy) so there would be no problems with front axle or t case. I will be putting a polly bushing kit on to impove the handling and all that. The only problem I an think of is with the steering or somthing, only because I dont plan on doing anything to that. So I think I got all all my problems covered so far anything else I should think about??

Chris

if you plan on doing that much work to it, I would look for something cheaper. why pay for everything your going to get rid of. oh, and mine had "new" brakes too. The pads were replaced with cheapies and the rotors were left... had to replace it all anyways. Its a great looking truck, but i wouldnt pay 2 g's for it....

I picked up my 89 MJ about 4 mounths ago and I love it. I paid 400 for it and droped another 600 to make me happy.With the MJ and XJ being siblings the mods are unlimited.
Try to get paper work for the so called new parts, if you cant keep looking. I feel that 2000 is to much for that year unless the work is for real. Keep looking the cheap ones are out there. If you can take it to shop with a lift and see whay they think. Remember: Dont let the shiny penny fool you!

keep this in mind, not that it matters. The best MJ of that year is a 4x short box and it only books for $2k.

AAMCO trans? or no. their motto is All Automatic Must Come Out. Just cause he says rebuilt, thats a very subjective thing. I'd keep shopping, and give it a couple weeks.

I'll side with Eagle and say its probably not worth more than $1200.00 if he did what he said.

ONLY in a rare instance will you ever get your money out of a vehicle. The owner needs to realize he's in the same boat.

Back