• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ, XJ coil questions

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
ok first off i searched and came up with a few things but i have some ??'s.
Are there ZJ springs that are the same as stock XJ springs, i read that they used like 3 different ZJ coils, so are any the same as XJs? Also i bought some today and im not sure if they are what i want, they measure 18" uncompressed, what do XJ coils measure uncompressed i read 18" is that correct? if it is i think i got screwed. I told the guy i wanted V8 Grand Cherokee Coils. So what if they are just plain V8 coils and not up country will i get anything out of them? and if they are from the new grands WJ(??) will that net any lift?

ZJ and XJ coils are diffrent. ZJ coils are meant to handle more wiegth, espescially ones with a V-8. They also have rear coils, so thats your 3 kinds. Alot of the times, people with big bumpers and winches will order ZJ coils instead since they are meant to carry mor weight. I'm not sure about measurments though.

87CherokeeChief said:
what do you mean by balance?
Balanced would be front and rear working insync instead of the front maxing out then forcing the rear to flex. ZJ's coils r stiffier there for allowing the rear to flex before the front is maxed out. I hope I explained that well enought for you. I am currently running XJ 4.5" coils with long arms and the suspension is not as balanced as I would like so next time around I will do ZJ coils as they r the stiffiest RE makes.

ohhh ok i gotcha, i didnt know that the front maxed out causing the rear to flex. Well tomorrow im just going to go ahead and put the coils in and see what i got. i need to go get a coil spring compressor to try and make my life easier. ill post up tomorrow sometime after i get the front all done up.

Use a strut compressor, a coil spring compressor isn't going to work to well, just make sure you clip down the side, or you could have a stut compressor sticking out if your head, haha. Actually you shouldn't even need them if you jack up the opposite side of the axle, but its up to you. Good Luck

Jack up the opposite side of the axle, and put a bottle jack between the "frame" and axle housing wherever you can that won't get in the way. This'll give ya plenty of room. Not the safest way, but better than a spring compressor any day. When I did my first cherokee lift, a compressor almost attacked me, and I won't use 'em again.

87CherokeeChief said:
there is a small tag on the shocks that says "FM 5208 8361"
does anyone have the ability to see what that means?

That is the part number for the coil (not shock) 52088361.
Call a dealer and ask if they can cross that to see what it fits (if they have pro-quest they can).

I copied the part number and spring code off a 2000 XJ Classic with Up Country and then ordered a pair of the same springs for my aging '88 XJ. The parts guy asked why I was ordering springs for a ZJ when I own an XJ. We cross checked and confirmed that the XJ Up Country springs are the same as standard (non Up Country) ZJ springs. However, at this point I don't recall if they were ZJ 6-cyl or V8 springs.

FWIW, there are a LOT more than 3 spring part numbers for the ZJ. (And for the XJ, as well)

87CherokeeChief said:
ohhh ok i gotcha, i didnt know that the front maxed out causing the rear to flex. Well tomorrow im just going to go ahead and put the coils in and see what i got. i need to go get a coil spring compressor to try and make my life easier. ill post up tomorrow sometime after i get the front all done up.
I didn't mean to make is sound like the rear only flex's once the front is maxed out. But the front flex's much better then the rear so is you stiffen that front the front springs then the rear will work a bit better.

Yeah I get what your saying. I mostly notice this when you go over a small ditch were each wheel goes in sepratly. You'll notice the front goes over without the body hardly moving, then the rear hits and you get tossed around a little bit.

I just bought my 6" coils, can't wait to get them on there. Maybe some day if I get ballsy, I'll get some rear coils too, hehe

MSHarnett said:
Yeah I get what your saying. I mostly notice this when you go over a small ditch were each wheel goes in sepratly. You'll notice the front goes over without the body hardly moving, then the rear hits and you get tossed around a little bit.

I just bought my 6" coils, can't wait to get them on there. Maybe some day if I get ballsy, I'll get some rear coils too, hehe
Exactly what I was saying........thanks

ok well i finally got those suckers on and they gave me 1 inch of lift which is about what i was expecting. To get em in i un bolted the LCA jacked up the opposite side of the axle and used a bottle jack to get a little more space. if anyone is thinking about coil spring compressors DONT! the fawkers i was using BROKE sending one of the pieces right into the back of my hand now its all bruised and crap.

thanks for all your help guys

Wiley Coyote said:
Will TJ coils work in an XJ?
Yeah, but you'll lose about an inch or two. Stock XJ coils will give a TJ about that much lift.

Back