• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 XJ Off Road Pkg. Tires

superscythe

NAXJA Forum User
I've read many threads about tires on this site. I have an '89 Laredo with tow and off-road package. My cousin has an '89 Limited and his looks much lower than mine. I am wondering if I could fit a 245/75/15 without rubbing anywhere. This Jeep is stock height other than the off-road package. Any ideas? I am planning on running cooper discoverer S/T's. Thanks.

depends on how you bumpstop it and how you plan towheel it. you will be happy with those tires, i had some and loved em.

according to a conversion chart at novak, the 245/75's are 29.46 inches. i have been told that you can put 30 inch tires on a stock cherokee and have minimal rubbing. hope this helps.

brian

While I can't give you an exact answer for your particular Jeep I can say that I ran 30x9.50R15's on my stock hieght '91 with very little rubbing. The main contact area is the lower control arms at full lock turning, just don't turn that sharp, it probably saves a little stress on the front axle u-joints anyway. I ran 245/70R15's on my MJ and they actually contacted the inner fenders quite a bit but it was more of a width issue so your 75's shouldn't be that bad. I've run both Cooper Discoverer STT's and BF Mud terrians and found the Coopers to work very well off-road but they did seem to wear a lot quicker on the highway. IF you plan to do a lot of street driving it may be worth the extra bucks in the long run to spring for the BF's. But hey I might be biased since I work at a BF factory.

i have a 2000 with 30x9.50x15 bfg's and no lift...yet... it doesn't rub on the street but i don't have much if any flex. gotta get my lift soon...i'm impatient. a few more checks and I get mt RE 3.5 and SYE!!!:clap:

I have a 94 xj with no lift and 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's no rub on or off road even at full lock and flexed (as much as the stock suspention allows). But for some reason my stock xj seems to sit higher than most I have seen around here. Even my brother who has a 94 with half the miles I have can only fit 235's on his. I think alot has to do with spring sag I guess. I load mine down and tow my boat with it all the time and the rear end just barley levels itself.so try whatever fits and good luck.

tchase said:
While I can't give you an exact answer for your particular Jeep I can say that I ran 30x9.50R15's on my stock hieght '91 with very little rubbing. The main contact area is the lower control arms at full lock turning, just don't turn that sharp, it probably saves a little stress on the front axle u-joints anyway. I ran 245/70R15's on my MJ and they actually contacted the inner fenders quite a bit but it was more of a width issue so your 75's shouldn't be that bad. I've run both Cooper Discoverer STT's and BF Mud terrians and found the Coopers to work very well off-road but they did seem to wear a lot quicker on the highway. IF you plan to do a lot of street driving it may be worth the extra bucks in the long run to spring for the BF's. But hey I might be biased since I work at a BF factory.

In a metric size tire, the 245 part is the cross-sectional width in millimeters, so a 245/70 and a 245/75 will be (nominally) the same width. The 70 or 75 part is the cross-section height as a percentage of the width, so a 245/75 will be the same width as a 245/70 but slightly taller.

Back