• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More cage progress

C-ROK

NAXJA Forum User
Got the back half of the halo done and most all of the interior pillar work.
Still left to do are the Radiator and Cowl Guards, the B pillar to Rocker and D to rear bumper external ties, some halo spreaders and a bunch of gusset tubes.
Here's the back showing the C X bracing:
More%20Cage0001.JPG

And the driver side rear:
More%20Cage0002.JPG

Passenger side:
More%20Cage0005.JPG

Rear passenger side:
More%20Cage0007.JPG

Last edited:
Ashman - the funny thing is that I PM'd him asking about that as well; half the houses in those pics looked just like the ones around my old neighborhood in Chandler. It's all the same breadbox slap-em-together housing out there anyway...Greystone Homes built mine, how 'bout y'all?

ashmanjeepxj said:
Greg, what do you have for gearing?
AW4? stock case? geared axles.
Been secretly sneaking into your garage to do the work Ash ;)

700R4, Atlas IIX and 5.13s.

The 700 has a 3.05:1 first, 3.83 in the Atlas.

It's about 60:1 locked up not incl the torque convertor multiplier.

JnJ said:
Can you do me a favor and make the pictures bigger? I don't get to use my scroll bar enough. :D

Dude, go easy on me.
Do you know how thrilled I was that I even figured out to post pics??

Let a man crawl for while before you ask him to run......

Yucca-Man said:
Ashman - the funny thing is that I PM'd him asking about that as well; half the houses in those pics looked just like the ones around my old neighborhood in Chandler. It's all the same breadbox slap-em-together housing out there anyway...Greystone Homes built mine, how 'bout y'all?

I bought mine afew years used, but I think my builder was Pulti... There are some US Homes also in the neighbor hood, and afew other buildiers.

Oddly though I do alot of building in my drve way as projects drift out of the garage, and I havent had any real trouble with the association or nighbors. Just some fun block parties. We live close enough..
download.php

Back to the cage pics...

Greg, what did you think of my idea of running a tube crossmember below where your B-hoop brackest meet the tranny tunnel?

ashmanjeepxj said:
Back to the cage pics...

Greg, what did you think of my idea of running a tube crossmember below where your B-hoop brackest meet the tranny tunnel?

You mean a like the cross member for the frame end attachment of my wishbone?
Like this:
03024wd_crok03_zoom.jpg

except above the floor boards?

AJ had a similar suggestion.

I'm going to take a look at it.

BTW, this post is serious deja vu. Like I just did this reply about 2 hours ago but now it's gone.

C-ROK said:
Dude, go easy on me.

Hehe just messing with ya. BTW, it's looking good.

C-ROK said:
You mean a like the cross member for the frame end attachment of my wishbone?
Like this:
03024wd_crok03_zoom.jpg

except above the floor boards?

AJ had a similar suggestion.

I'm going to take a look at it.

BTW, this post is serious deja vu. Like I just did this reply about 2 hours ago but now it's gone.

I see the airbags and stuff so that is your under side?
yea, Just use that, Why not just do the plate on top of the tunnel like you were thinking then run some straight tube from your hoop to the bottom of the floor. you could use your cross member hoop to support the tranny tunnel and still have your V brace bolton...

Like this? Tube runs right through to the "framerail" and has a length of plate directly beneath the rail, in order to sandwich the frame.

DSC02927.jpg

I know, I know, nice leaf debris, and rusty tubing. So sue me, it'll get painted later.

myjeepsbigger said:
Like this? Tube runs right through to the "framerail" and has a length of plate directly beneath the rail, in order to sandwich the frame.

DSC02927.jpg

I know, I know, nice leaf debris, and rusty tubing. So sue me, it'll get painted later.

Thats not what Im talking about, Im Talking about his V-brace for his B-hoop that centers at the sheet metal tranny tunnel, there are pics in the other cage pics thread...

This pic:
B%20Chevron%20Inside%201.JPG

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32543

Myjeepsbigger, On the B-hoop for a non bolt on cage, I like drilling through the sheet metal floor outside the frame, before the rocker channel, Run the B-hoop tube into some box tube and weld it to the outside of the frame and the inside of the rocker... I that on this ZJ this year, and it came out great.
We did the A-pillars through the floor also.

download.php

download.php

download.php

Then The X brace went to the B-hoop just above the sheet metal floor board..
download.php

Back to the thread, again..

ashmanjeepxj said:
I see the airbags and stuff so that is your under side?
yea, Just use that, Why not just do the plate on top of the tunnel like you were thinking then run some straight tube from your hoop to the bottom of the floor. you could use your cross member hoop to support the tranny tunnel and still have your V brace bolton...

Plating the top of the floor board was my first thought.
The cross member shown in that pic might be too far forward to use - but it might be close.

C-ROK said:
Dude, go easy on me.

Nothin' wrong with the pics - buddy needs to get a real computer!

LOL

r@m

Ashman--- Thanks for the info and the link. I haven't been able to do my normal "lurking" lately, so I was kind of out of the loop.

I kind of did the same thing with my A pillar, but the rectangular tubing is in the floor board and overlaps the "framerail". I then tie it to the rail, underneath with some 3/8 plate, which is plug-welded several times.

Again folks, no comments about the lack of paint.....and the fact that I used a stick welder. I am a farm-boy, afterall. hehe.

Edit: And yes, I say screw passenger-side foot room.

DSC02930.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

Back