• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear too high...

Scott Williams

NAXJA Forum User
I've finally grown completely fed up with my rear end. I have never been happy with it since I bought Rusty's 3" Full Spring Pack kit. The rear is still at around 4.5" even after well more than a year. I want to get it back down around 3" or so. Any ideas? Obviously I could get a new spring pack, how about 1" lowering blocks?
TIA

if you can figure out how to make a block lower it go ahead

Not much you can do about the rear, short of different packs.
You COULD put a coil spacer in front...

Scott Williams said:
I've finally grown completely fed up with my rear end. I have never been happy with it since I bought Rusty's 3" Full Spring Pack kit. The rear is still at around 4.5" even after well more than a year. I want to get it back down around 3" or so. Any ideas? Obviously I could get a new spring pack, how about 1" lowering blocks?
TIA

Just work on what you have, try removing a leaf. Have you loaded the rear and flexed it out to fully break the springs in. What kind of shackle are you using?

I have added a .75" spacer in front, and it is running the stock shackles. Can you get shorter than stock shackles? I have flexed, crawled, stacked weights in the back, loaded up my dads trailer and towed rocks all to no avail.

find a big girl and consimate yalls relationship in the back

Scott Williams said:
Yeah, you think I could just get her to live back there?
upkeep could get expensive

evilpresence said:
Got a side pic of your Jeep to see how it looks?
99xj1.jpg

Don't know if you'll see this or not... This was pre-front spacer, and with 250Lbs in the back...

Scott Williams said:
99xj1.jpg

Don't know if you'll see this or not... This was pre-front spacer, and with 250Lbs in the back...

It looks fine to me, I can see that it doesn't look like you rhave really wheeled it yet. I could be wrong, it looks like you keep it pretty clean.

My sugestion is, put the weight in the back and get that rig on a really frame twisting trail. I'm sure then you next post will be, why are my Rusty's leaf packs sagging.

The other thing is, are you sure you are getting 3" of lift from the front springs.

IMO the rear leaf packs just need to be broken in more. Also it's not like you OEM XJ sat level front to rear anyway.

Well I can assure you that it has been wheeled, pretty hard. That was just after a good washing. Now, with the .75" front spacers the front is sitting almost exactly at 3.5". The rear is measured at right at 4.5". As I said in that post, that pic was pre-front spacers, so it was sitting at about 2.75", AND it had a lot of weight in the rear that was holding it down some.
It certainly doesn't look right to me. Check out a stock XJ, and the rear is usually a hair lower than the front, even on brand new ones. Also the lifted rigs I've seen on the road that I like the looks of are either level or slightly front high. I don't like the way it sits at all.

well a positive side effect of a higher rear end is it should climb better. but i would try taking a leaf out.

WIll

I thought I'd update on this post... I finally worked on this problem and think I got it resolved. We removed the shims I had in the rear, and also removed the bottom leaf from the springs. This resulted in about .75" lower in the rear. Finally the rear is mostly level with the front and I ended up with what I originally wanted to begin with, about 3.5" all around. So now I have a Rusty's 3" lift kit, that was 4.5" in the rear, and now is about 3.5"... I guess 3" doesn't really mean 3"...
Anyway, the vibes are gone and it looks MUCH better...
Now I have to figure out what I want to spend more money on...

Back