• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift kit

whosyourdaddy?

NAXJA Forum User
first post! going to purchase lift kit for my 01 xj. no more than 4.5 inches. not picky about tire sizes just really dont know what to get. skyjacker, rustys, ? is the 3" rusty worth it. iwould do the rear spring kit. Will the 4.5 need the transfer case yoke eliminator kit? thanks in advance.

first off, welcome

second, search

third, im just messin, but you should :D

fourth, it all depends on what youre gonna do with it...and with an 01, as far as i know, youll need an sye with even the 3"

if you have money, go with a 4.5" RE with leafpacks and an SYE

i was reading on rustys site about the write up 4.5 install. he didnt mention anything about a sye. what makes a 01 need the sye vs 00 and earlier. why are some lifts only up to 00?

97+ Chysler decided to due us a favor!The new design is very prone to vibes even from the factory.The HD SYE's are not that much more but way better.

97+ Chysler decided to due us a favor!The new design is very prone to vibes even from the factory.The HD SYE's are not that much more but way better.

Actually it's 96+... that's when DC decided to go with the longer output shaft and slip yoke. Most people think it was 97 because that's when they changed the body and interior.

I know because I drive a 96 and did the sye thing!;)

Some XJ's need a SYE with even the smallest lift (actually, some even come from the factory with driveline vibes) and some can get away without one. There are a couple of less-desireable, but cheaper, options. I think Rusty's install includes a transfer case lowering kit. Which often gets rid of vibes, but you lose an inch of clearance. More expensive than that option is the RE "hack n tap" that alot of people do, i don't know much about it - haven't paid attention to it. Then, slighty more expensive than that is rusty's transfercase crossmember with a built in 1" drop (you don't lose clearance). You will probably want to get some shims to correct the pinion angle anyway.
When I lifted mine, the back end was at 3" initially and I had vibes on acceleration; that went away when it settled to 2.5" and I loaded the back up with tools and stuff.
As a realtor, I'm sure you do alot of driving... if you intend this to be a daily driver - consider the OME kit. It's pricier and not as tall, but the ride is much better.

I have Rusty's 4.5 kit on a 99. I haven't done an SYE yet. I will but I do not have bad drive line vibes. I have a very slight vibration on deceleration around 35 mph. I am very pleased with this kit. The ride is nice and the springs flex.

My reasoning for doing the SYE is to get rid of the tcase drop. Also I think over time that the small vibration will catch up to me.:)

Thanks for all the help. From all Ive read it helps to do some research. This will be a daily driver. I look at acreage a lot though so it gives me an excuse to tell the wife we need to lift the jeep! So I dont need the sye unless i have vibrations? Chrysler actually extended the sye 97+? I think I'm gonna go with either skyjacker 3" or rustys 4.5. Whats the concensus?

TomH said:
Also I think over time that the small vibration will catch up to me.:)

Count on it. You are chewing up your transfer case output bearings with every mile you drive.

whosyourdaddy? said:
So I dont need the sye unless i have vibrations? Chrysler actually extended the sye 97+? I think I'm gonna go with either skyjacker 3" or rustys 4.5. Whats the concensus?

(1) It wasn't '97, it was '96

(2) They didn't extend the SYE, they changed the design of the transfer case output shaft in a way that left a very long length of shaft unsupported. It does not have an SYE, it has a slip yoke.

(3) If you lift your vehicle more than 1" you will have vibrations. Forget about "I won't need the sye unless I have vibrations." First, you will have vibrations, and second, you need the SYE because that transfer case design just plain sucks.

(4) For a daily driver you will be far more comfortable with the OME lift, and you also won't be back here in two months complaining about how much your lift sagged.

I second that!All XJ's need some form of an SYE, and there are no vibes that are tolerable.It will do its damage somewhere/sometime!

Old man emu seems the way to go. Reading other threads i gather i will need lca's. How about extended brake lines. Also i have a set of warn black diamond shocks that were brand new before i ran my fsj into a tree. Anyone know how much travel my shocks will need with old man emu?

Back