• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water leak

ASJackman

NAXJA Forum User
So we finally got some rain in washington, but when I opened the door, I had a puddle on the floor. Are there known issues to leakage that I can look for? The wires under the dash are wet, so it's coming from somewhere above. How would I fix it? Can I just drill a hole in the floor pan to leak it out?

It's a 94 4door with 4.0L.

follow your cable, for your hood release up and through the fire wall. is the rubber garument in the fire wall for the cable. if not, this might be one cause of the problem. another idea, would be something is wrong with your windsheild seal. hope this helps...

There's a few places to check - what side is the water filling up ? If it's the passenger side, try taking off the passenger kick panel and trim, lift up the carpet and run some fresh water over the windshield.

The run-off should run down the inside of the front right hand side guard, and onto the ground. Although if there's enough water, if there's any leaks, the water will find it's way through - which should help you diagnose where it's coming in.

Most likely it will be leaking through the rubber boot that the radio antenna runs through. All you need to do is just pull the rubber boot through the designated hole, then just put some silicone window sealant around the grommet - a tube costs about $5 from a local Discount Auto store.

You can also check under the windshield by removing the wiper arms and taking off the gauze-type of shield that sits just under the window - from memory, only 5 or 6 screws hold it in place. By removing that, it should be pretty clear if you have any rust holes there that could let water in. Just run some more water on it then check inside the cabin - that should help you find the cause.

There are other spots that the water can get in from, but both of these ones are the most likely.

Oh, and don't forget to try and soak up the water that the carpet underlay holds - it can hold a lot !

Hope that helps,

B Rgds,
Quarterwave

Back