• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 xj cuts out won't start--help!

andyjsimmons

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal: Jeep runs great with one foot on the gas, one foot on the break. If I let off the gas, it will sputter, shudder, and die. Will not re-start. All electronics work fine: lights, radio, seat-belt buzzer, et al, but when the key is turned NOTHING HAPPENS. The only option is to lift the hood, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, then she starts up no problemo. There are no fault codes. What's going on? Fuel pump? Filter? Why would the engine cut off and not restart?

andyjsimmons said:
Here's the deal: Jeep runs great with one foot on the gas, one foot on the break. If I let off the gas, it will sputter, shudder, and die. Will not re-start. All electronics work fine: lights, radio, seat-belt buzzer, et al, but when the key is turned NOTHING HAPPENS. The only option is to lift the hood, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, then she starts up no problemo. There are no fault codes. What's going on? Fuel pump? Filter? Why would the engine cut off and not restart?

So is the starter motor turning when this happens. Also have you checked for spark or for fuel on the fuel rail. You should be able to hear the fuel pump prime before you start.

Yes, fuel pump primes--everything is as it should be up until the point when the key is turned all the way, where the starter should fire. At that point nothing happens. I thought it was the starter, it's not. Plenty of spark.

But wouldn't that show up on a code reader? When running and in Park, the charge is about 14.5 on the meter. And unless I keep my foot on the gas, it stalls out--that's when the non-starting thing happens. As long as I drive with both feet, it's not an issue--it's when I take my foot off the gas that everything goes bad.
If I turn the car off myself, it starts up just fine. But if I allow it to die on its own, it will not restart without removing battery cable to reset computer. It's nutty, huh?

Back