• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 XJ AX-15 bolts

Joe R.

NAXJA Forum User
Where is this tranny held in place by bolts? I got thiis XJ with the tranny hanging half way out... thanks!!
~Joe~
Also, do you know what thread pitch and size the bolts are?

OK -

There should be a total of six bolts thru the bellhousing, and the bottom two retain the inspection plate and have nothing to do with the engine. The other four are located with one on each side below centre (easily visible from underneath,) and two at the top rear of the engine block (just below the cylinder head parting line.) The top two tend to require the use of an E12 external Torx socket, but are threaded 3/8"-16 and are easily replaced. Replacement is recommended for future simplicity.

There should be either two or four bolts at the crossmember, tying the mount cushion to the transmission case proper.

There should also be a total of six studs at the transfer case adapter, tying the transfer case to the transmission. IIRC, these are all threaded 3/8"-16 as well.

This help?

5-90

purrrrfect

Oh - IIRC, the two side bolts are 7/16"-14. A little difficult to find sometimes, I drilled mine out and tapped to 1/2"-13 and installed studs in all four holes. If I have to pull the transmission, I don't want to fight it going back in... If you are doing your clutch, I find using a broken input shaft (I got mine from a local salvage outfit for a few bucks) works MILES better than that little plastic thing you get with the clutch kit...

5-90

Back