• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New ideas for rocker gaurds

Stoney

NAXJA Forum User
i need some new ideas for rocker gaurds, i used to have some 2X2 rocker gaurds that worked pretty well but i want something with more clearance! maybe some kinda angle iron along the rockers instead of tubing!

stoney

more clearance than a 2" loss? have you plated your frame?

you can always cut your rockers out and replace them with steel

I used 1.5x 3 and tucked them up nicely,they work great.I added some aluminum plate to infill overto the frame rails!

Nothing against the design, just thinking that keeping the rock off the doors is more important than giving up the minor ground clearance that you may loose with the slider hanging down/out from the body....after all, that is thier job. I'd rather loose the GC than replace a trashed door......but then I drive a shiny poser show rig and don't like any more rash than is neccesary.

I know that some chicks dig body damage.......mine likes the body straight.:)

XJEEPER

Yeah, I agree with that,after installing mine we ran "Raw Deal" and I still took a hit about 18" above the rockers.I dont know how or when!

its a give and take.......high clearence and no obstruction or chance of a few more dents........I know that The old style I ran hung me up more times than I could count......

RCP Phx said:
I used 1.5x 3 and tucked them up nicely,they work great.I added some aluminum plate to infill overto the frame rails!

Lemme see, lemme see!! Thats exactly what I plan on doing, but I plan on making the gaurds out of aluminum as well.

XJguy

yea well we don't run doors so that isn't a problem! and who cares bout the rear doors!!

stoney

Mine look like this (sorry no closeup photos, unless someone took some at JV that show the rails).

Some primitave ASCII art ( a lost talent )

Air Side = body side & door above

...........|
...........| rocker attachment below door
........../
......../ Formed 14 gage sheetmetal rocker guard
....../
..../
.../__________________
...|---------------|.....|
...|_____________|.....| pinch weld seam attachment

--------\
---------\ 1X3" 0.120 wall slider tube

The ground clearance is the same elevation as the pinch weld seam. The stick out 1.5 inches outside of the door sill to allow you to lever around rocks without door rash. The formed sheetmetal is asymetric with a left and right side to match the XJ body pinch weld. The guards are screwed below the door the full length of the rocker, and at the pinch weld seam.

I fabricated material to build three sets as prototypes and have not destroyed the first set (or the XJ, yet). They will support the XJ on a high liftjack and all the other "tests."

Maybe someone can improve on the concept?

A (sorry dial up guys) large pic, thanks to Michael Rollins for his JV photos.

orig

Back