• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D44 question...

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I've seen a few XJs recently running standard Waggy front 44s. (LP) That looks a TON easier than finding a HP 44 housing, cut and rotate, etc. I know the pinion angle is less than ideal, but with manual hubs you're only running the front shaft at low speeds. You'd still get the advantages of a REAL 44. (thicker tubes, high-steer capable, 1/2 ton hubs and brakes)
Is there something else I'm missing? Why not run a LP 44? :confused:

Lincoln said:
Driveline clearance.
But couldn't you get the driveshaft pretty far out of the way by angling the pinion up toward the t-case? :repair:

It still won't be as high as an HP and if you do that then I bet you end up cutting and turning the knuckles anyway to get some caster.

Go take some measurements off a Waggy axle. Pinion vs. Caster, and centerline to pinion. Then compare that to what you have. At least you'll have an idea. Keep in mind that a low pinion 44 has a lower pinion than the low pinion 30 that everyone is trying to swap out.

You are correct, as usual. I just looked at my daughter's GW. I'd still be rotating the knuckles.
Guess I'll stick with my HP30... :explosion :rof:

If you have to rotate the knuckles, why not wack them completly off the lp dana 44 and put them on your hp dana 30? You get the strenght of a reverse cut gear and have the brakes, balljoints, and hubs from a 44.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
If you have to rotate the knuckles, why not wack them completly off the lp dana 44 and put them on your hp dana 30? You get the strenght of a reverse cut gear and have the brakes, balljoints, and hubs from a 44.

AARON
I've seen that idea. Here are the issues...
Custom inner shafts are needed...$
You still have Dana 30 tubes, unless you sleeve them.

On my 2001, the u-joints and ball joints (right?) are the same as a D44 now. It seems that changing brakes, rotors, knuckles, wheels, (bolt patterns, etc) is an inefficent way to get manual hubs. If you NEED a high steer set-up, that's another story.
Correct?

BillR said:
I've seen that idea. Here are the issues...
Custom inner shafts are needed...$
You still have Dana 30 tubes, unless you sleeve them.

On my 2001, the u-joints and ball joints (right?) are the same as a D44 now. It seems that changing brakes, rotors, knuckles, wheels, (bolt patterns, etc) is an inefficent way to get manual hubs. If you NEED a high steer set-up, that's another story.
Correct?

The D44 ball joints are much bigger than the D30. Take a look at those also.

If your not having problems now up grading to a D44 is going to be a foo foo thing. If you are having problems I wouldn't dump the money into the D30. The major advantages are the ball joints, brakes, and high steer. If your not having a problem I would wait or do a slow buildup.

No real issues now, other than the need for manual hubs to cure the freeway front driveshaft vibes. With the 4:88s, the driveshaft's spinning ALOT faster. I can get a hub kit for $600, and it would be MUCH more than that to build a HP44 with the right gears and brackets.

Are you going to 35's? If your staying with 33's for a while I would do the hub kit. You can always sell it later.

Lincoln said:
Are you going to 35's? If your staying with 33's for a while I would do the hub kit. You can always sell it later.
Yes, he is going to 35s....he just doesnt want to admit it yet....

Fergie

Bah Bill, just watch Colorado4x4 and you could probably get an hp 44 down to you for 3-400.

Fergie said:
Yes, he is going to 35s....he just doesnt want to admit it yet....

Fergie
35s are not on the agenda ANYTIME soon...(I don't think?) :cool:
OTOH, I DID see an XJ today on 37" MTRs and Bushwackers...NICE! :shhh:
Seriously, I'll be at 33s for AWHILE. I'm still to much of a wimp to cut sheet metal on a 2001! :scared:

Last edited:
hjeepxj said:
Bah Bill, just watch Colorado4x4 and you could probably get an hp 44 down to you for 3-400.
I DO watch that board, Andrew. Some nice deals...
Don't forget to look for a disc set-up for me if you HAPPEN to run across one. :clap:

BillR said:
35s are not on the agenda ANYTIME soon...(I don't think?) :cool:
OTOH, I DID see an XJ today on 37" MTRs and Bushwackers...NICE! :shhh:
Seriously, I'll be at 33s for AWHILE. I'm still to much of a wimp to cut sheet metal on a 2001! :scared:
In town?

There was some sweet yellow one by Discount the other day. RE5.5, 32s, warn hub coversion, Bulletproof bumpers and a Tentrax in tow. Also had every kind of electrical gee-gaw and doo-dad money could buy...and it was all mall rated!

I think 35s will be on before you know it....I'll be picking up some 31s over labor day, so that is big deal for me...gotta get the rad in first though.

Fergie

Fergie said:
In town?

I think 35s will be on before you know it....
Fergie

You'd like it. White with a snorkel! :woohoo:
35s right now would be much more than I want to do. (or CUT!)

BillR said:
I DO watch that board, Andrew. Some nice deals...
Don't forget to look for a disc set-up for me if you HAPPEN to run across one. :clap:

Will do, Im prolly going tuesday, so Ill keep an eye out.

Exploder or ZJ rear discs, correct?

BillR said:
ZJ ones!
Thanks! :cheers:

No problem man.

:cheers:

Have you got your CB back yet? Just hoping DJ didnt lose that too! :laugh2:

hjeepxj said:
No problem man.

:cheers:

Have you got your CB back yet? Just hoping DJ didnt lose that too! :laugh2:
:laugh3:
Not yet, but I'm sure it will show up...

Back