• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C 8.25 (29spline) to D 44? yes I have done a search!

jrsxj98

DILIGAF
Ok are you really gaining anything with this swap. I have seached and read alot of post on this and eveything I can
find says the 8.25 i just hair weaker than the D44. The only
advantage I can see is less of a lip on the pumpkin and no c-clips. I
can pick a XJ D44 minus shafts, has everything else for $75. Some
input would be great, since I am ordering gears and lockers within
the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Re: C 8.25 (29spline) to D 44?

if you really have a choice, go with the D44..... but as you have learned the 29-spline isnt a slouch.. but because the 44 has tons more aftermarket support that makes the parts a lil more affordable and it has much bigger brakes..

sidriptide said:
if you really have a choice, go with the D44..... but as you have learned the 29-spline isnt a slouch.. but because the 44 has tons more aftermarket support that makes the parts a lil more affordable and it has much bigger brakes..

Another note would be that on the 8.25 it's harder to set up higher ratio gears, you have to either notch the cross pin or grind 2 teeth on the ring gear, I've also noticed more nose in the 8.25 at higher speeds. One addvantage would be easy upgradable to WJ disks with internal E-Brake, Both Rear ends will work fine, i stayed with the 8.25 with the brake mod, and Dutchman Shafts, I Run 35's and i beat it a bit. It's held up fine
XJ_Dude

Justin-
Go with the D44! The 29-spline 8.25 is a decent axle, but the 44 gives you more choices in lockers and gears. 4:88s are available!
BTW, that's a screaming deal you were offered in Ouray! I'd jump on that! :clap:

sidriptide said:
For $75 don't even think twice about it.
Couple things that you got going for you as others already mentioned are: deeper gears, easier gear setup, more accessories and... you get rid of the cclip shafts and your drums are bigger which gives you more stopping power. I was pleasantly surprised when I moved from my 8.25 to the 44.

jrsxj98 said:
Ok are you really gaining anything with this swap. I have seached and read alot of post on this and eveything I can
find says the 8.25 i just hair weaker than the D44. The only
advantage I can see is less of a lip on the pumpkin and no c-clips. I
can pick a XJ D44 minus shafts, has everything else for $75. Some
input would be great, since I am ordering gears and lockers within
the next 2 weeks.

Oh and if you do not want to spend an arm and a leg for the shafts give Dan Turner a holler and talk to him about shafts. He set me up with a really good deal for a tj shaft (I only needed one) and the only thing you'll need to swap out is the retaining plate (if you want high quality alloy he can take care of you when it comes to that to).

Yeah, Grab the D-44.
Put mine in last Feb. From the confidance aspect alone it's better.

Derik

I just did this swap, and I had Dutchman shafts in my 8.25.
The brakes on the 44 DWARF the Godforsaken 8.25 minivan brakes, and the pedal feel alone was worth the effort.
Ever change a c-clip axle shaft on the trail?
Once you do it, you will understand.
I never was able to use the ebrake on the trail with the 8.25, but with the 44 its not an issue.
HTH.

cherokeekid said:
ZJ not WJ
Yeap your right
Damn 2 finger typers, i should proof my post
LOL
Cruzzin_XJ

Back