• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Rubbing @full turn

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
What is my best option in the way of back space? I am running RE6025 (3.5")
with 31x10.50x15 on stock 15x7 alloys.
I'm looking at either Rock Crawlers TEC51-5766's or AR 767's (15x8) but what would be the ideal backspace so the tyres will not rub my LCA's?

these are the two sizes that I see
4.5"
3.75"
are there others? and should i be looking at other size Backspace?

I would go with the 3.75 BS, that way if you decide to go for a larger tire, you'll have the rims with the neccesary backspacing. I have some 34 x10.5 swampers mounted on the crawlers with 3.75 BS and no rubbing, but my 31's rub the snot out of my arms on a stock rim.

Or pull your steering stops, take them to Lowes, get a washer that'll slip over the threads, and reinstall. I run 30s on 15x8 Canyons, so they rub the LCAs, but one washer was enough to get them off the LCAs and my turning radius wasn't hurt that drastically.

SyCo said:
Or pull your steering stops, take them to Lowes, get a washer that'll slip over the threads, and reinstall. I run 30s on 15x8 Canyons, so they rub the LCAs, but one washer was enough to get them off the LCAs and my turning radius wasn't hurt that drastically.

i have the same problem with my canyon's.... havent gotten around to fix it yet but its on "the list"

i run 33-1250 X-terrains on 3.75 steelies and i rub on my LCA's!!! I know this because of the nice rubber patch i leave when i am at full lock!! not really a big deal though...at least not yet...

mike

um, so don't turn the wheel that far.

has anyone ever really thought about that?

hell, even now. so they rub, so what!

and the washers on the steering stops is a BAD idea. the steering box will STILL try to turn the wheels!

I am convinced that this is how people rip steering boxes off the body, screw up balljoints/steering rod ends and cause all sorts of damage.

CheapXJ said:
um, so don't turn the wheel that far.
and the washers on the steering stops is a BAD idea. the steering box will STILL try to turn the wheels!

I am convinced that this is how people rip steering boxes off the body, screw up balljoints/steering rod ends and cause all sorts of damage.

This is the second time I've seen you post something without elborating upon it. How will extending your steering stops cause the steering box to rip off the body? How will the steering box turn if the stops on the knuckle hit the inner C before the box can reach it's max turning radius?

It's all a tradeoff. If you have an extra inch or so between the tire and fender at full stuff go with less BS. If you're tight on fender clearance go more BS. It's as simple as that. It's much better to be rubbing the LCA than the fender.

sivrt said:
Will the tires keep inside the oem fender with 4.50 of backspacing ? And with 3.75 ?

I have 33x12.5 on 3.75BS rock crawlers. They do rub the LCA, I have adjusted my turning stops (that is what they are there for) and my steering box is still mounted to my frame rail :)

With the 31's both the 3.75 and the 4.5 would still sit just inside the stock flairs. Personally I think that a 4.0-4.25 would be perfect. I think that the 3.75 puts a little more stress on the ball joints and will put the wheels very close to the ouside the flairs.

If you can confirm that with the 4.5's they do not rub, then that would work good. Les Shwab can get the 4.25's a friend of mine got them with no problems.

HTH,
Michael

Hell no Ive got 15x8 rock crawlers w 3.75 inces of backspacing with 30 x 9.50s on them they stick out pretty good. 4.5s should be better though.

Back