• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idiot Light Dash Question

STL Enterprises

NAXJA Forum User
A friend has a 95 XJ 4.0L. No gauges, just lights for Water Temp, Oil Pressure & Electrical systems.

Here's the question for someone with a similar vehicle: With the engine OFF, and the ignition switch in the RUN position, should the light for the Water Temp glow? Hers doesn't, she says it has never come on, but I suspect she may have been overheating recently. I'm trying to rule out a bad bulb without pulling the dash apart.

Thanks

On my 98 when it still had Idiot Lights.... when you turn the key from Lock to Unlock, but just before Start the engine.... the lights would momentarily illuminate as a test and then extinguish..... They should not stay on.....
Ensure the wire is on the sensor passenger rear corner of head near firewall.

Charles

Last edited:
i dont think the temp light comes on for the bulb check. if you want to test the circuit for the light, just ground the temp sensor on the back of the cylinder head on the driver's side and the light should come on.

Back