• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 axle shaft removal problems...

I am swapping drum brakes (both D35C axles) and need to remove the axle shafts because the drums are different sizes, so I need the "plates" that the wheel cylinder mount to. I went to the website www.stu-offroad.com/misc/d35-1.htm and everything is clear except I don't have a head on my lock screw, just a flush surface. I can't imagine how to get the screw out. any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

You dont have a head probably because its sheard off!!:doh:
If its sheared off it can still be removed but its much more difficult. It will probably have to be lasered out or you might get a get easy out and see if that works. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. i know when i did my gears in my truck the techs at work siad that was the most critical part of the whole process was not to break that bolt!:bunny:

The pin is not solid like a sheared off bolt though, it is hollow like a roll pin, it has the notch in it like a roll pin does too. It's got "35C" stamped on the back of the housing too, so I am pretty sure it's a c-clip axle.

Any insights? Time is kinda running out for this project.:(

"35 C" does not indicate c-clip -- it indicates 35 "Customer," which means Dana sends the axles to the automaker partially finished, and the automaker does the final assembly.

In an '89 XJ the axle should be a c-clip, but in a Comanche there's a possibility it could be a carry-over non c-clip. If so, behind the hub you'll see a seal retainer plate with four screws holding it to the backing plate.

Thanks Eagle!!!

My old axle isn't a c-clip - I just banged the hub off and slid the shaft out.

I pulled the diff cover on my new one though and it is a c-clip, so with that website I should be able to finish up.

Many thanks!!:D

Eagle said:
"35 C" does not indicate c-clip -- it indicates 35 "Customer," which means Dana sends the axles to the automaker partially finished, and the automaker does the final assembly.

In an '89 XJ the axle should be a c-clip, but in a Comanche there's a possibility it could be a carry-over non c-clip. If so, behind the hub you'll see a seal retainer plate with four screws holding it to the backing plate.

Eagle my '89XJ is a non c-clip and so are any other '89XJ I have worked on. I think c-clip started in '90 or '91 not real sure. Just FYI :cool:

Back