• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finally all is coming together

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I think I'm at a point where tomorrow I will be able to take the jeep out of the garage and see what is working and what is not. Up to this point I have:
- yanked aw4 and swapped in the ax15
- yanked the 231 it had and put my old one in (mine had the hack and tap)
- yanked front and rear axles and put my old ones in
- searched for replacement drums for the 44 and finally found a working set
- replaced a bent axleshaft in the 44 (bent between the bearing and the flange)
- replaced the comp with the one from my 98 (to get rid of the bus error message due to the missing ax15 and tcu)
- swapped in the interrior harness to gain electrical doorlocks and windows (lost electrical mirrors in the process... not sure why, but I know what to jump to get them moving again :D)
- swapped in the door guts to get the locks and mirrors to tie into the harness
- swapped the ignition stuff to get rid of that annoying cable for the aw4 and swapped in my button from the 98 for key release
- in the processes swapped all my old locks in :D
- straightened out the crossmember and reinforced the hell out of it
- swapped calipers from the 98 in (they were relatively new)

provided that all of the above is working right (drivetrain primarily and that the rear axle is not bent) things still left to do:
- seats and carpet (maybe do the rear buckets before moab)
- interrior cage (farming that out)
- finish all my electrical
- figure out if my front bumper is in one piece and if so bolt it up and if it's bent see if it can be salvaged (I landed on it and it looks tweaked)
- cut rear quarter panels
- reinforce frame rails with angle iron (3/16 3x3)
- do something for rocker protection (still unsure how I'm going to proceed, I guess I need to try and line things up and take some measurements)
- trim front fenders and put my flares on
- install my fog horn (it survived the roll!!)
- build my rear cargo area rack to hold the spare down and spare tires and tools on top (can't happen till the cage goes in)

Thing that really sucks is that my grad school starts up monday and it takes two nights out of each week... plus I'll have to spend some time hitting books which will be additional time. Oh well... who needs sleep?

Anyways.... anyone can think of anything I should check or test before I hit the pavement ? I don't want my junk to fall appart too soon after I put so much work in it (oh yeah, brakes are bled).

Finally many thanks go out to all that helped me out with it so far:
Johnny, Mike, Brandon, Rabbit and my dad. THanks guys!

And of course thanks go out to all the wiseguys here that helped me with the theoretical stuff (and told me of that ugly reverse torx on top of the tranny)

Last edited:
i didnt read all of it but man, that must have been a ton of down time

small pederson said:
i didnt read all of it but man, that must have been a ton of down time
Not really: I've been working on it for about a month, but it's been pretty much every weekend and plenty weeknights.

WOOOHOOOO
Just got back from the freeway!! Appart from freaking out about all the noises I heard (due to no carpet) it all ran great! It felt and handled good all the way up to 70 (I drove slower speeds around the block and then slowly worked my way up to 70).

I think my bushing for the front sway bar is shot again but otherwise then that all is good and even my cruise control works!

Fullsizexj said:
How long and how many streets did it take to get around the block :roflmao:

I actually circled around couple times: had to adjust couple things, test few things (brakes) and then couple other long streets till I made it to the freeway (and no.... I didn't drive 70 from the second I got on it, I drove 50 for a loooong time)

no carpet causes a metric butload of noise, especially when you poped out the drain plugs to let 8" of water out after you just hydro'd your engine and bent a rod in the #5 cylender...

then again, my rig is 12 years old now....

anyway it was noisy.... and the transmission hump heats up a lot

XJ_ranger said:
no carpet causes a metric butload of noise, especially when you poped out the drain plugs to let 8" of water out after you just hydro'd your engine and bent a rod in the #5 cylender...

then again, my rig is 12 years old now....

anyway it was noisy.... and the transmission hump heats up a lot

Yup.... but I think I know what part of my noise might have been: the tranny mount was slightly worn so I replaced that and I hope that fixes some of the problems (although now my tranny is sitting higher so I might not get out from readjusting the shims in the rear). Also I have a crunchy noise up front in the right but I think that I have a decent idea as to which few pieces it might be. Haven't driven it since the weekend but I did put quite a bit more work into it! I'm planning on taking it on the road again on Sat and then parking it again till Wed and so on. I gotta catch and fix as many gremlins/problems as I can before the end of Sept!

Back