• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's BB

Yeah, I hope you got the shackles instead of the add-a-leafs. The add-a-leafs are a PITA to install. Also, the poly spacer in the front is meant to go on along WITH the stock rubber spacer. Put the poly spacer between the coil spring and the stock rubber spacer. Also, buy, beg, borrow or steal, some coil spring compressors, it will make your job alot easier.

Cujo said:
Yeah, I hope you got the shackles instead of the add-a-leafs. The add-a-leafs are a PITA to install. Also, the poly spacer in the front is meant to go on along WITH the stock rubber spacer. Put the poly spacer between the coil spring and the stock rubber spacer. Also, buy, beg, borrow or steal, some coil spring compressors, it will make your job alot easier.

What are you talking about??

the poly spacer is almost three inches thick, that rubber donut is about 1/2 and they don't even fit together.

Shackles just flat stink, what a great way to trash out stock leaves even quicker.

The AAL's are simple to install, you just have to spend a little time at it.

1> Soak everything in PB Blaster for a couple of days at least.

2> Un-bolt the old U-bolts, the rear shocks, place some blocks of wood on the ground, set the rear axle on them.

3> cut/grind/saw the old spring clips and centering pins out. Directions tell you to either remove second longest leaf, or leave it in depending on your hauling/trailer use.

4> reassemble leaf pack, with AAL up next to main leaf. Easiest way is to put C-clamps on either end, and use centering pins to keep everything straight.

5> Reattach rear axle using NEW U-bolts, don't be cheap. reattach lower shock mounts. If you are adding new shocks it is eaiser to do that with the axle laying on the wood.

You never have to even touch the shackle bolts.

As far as opinions, I liked what my 2" looked like when I put it on. It has not settled level, and now my rear lift is about 1 1/2" on one side, and close to 2 1/2" on the other. When I put it on it was between 3 - 4" of rear lift.

But, I am rough on things, I did wreck a Mako lift, so with more mall-crawling than I do.

w_howey said:

the poly spacer is almost three inches thick, that rubber donut is about 1/2 and they don't even fit together.

Shackles just flat stink, what a great way to trash out stock leaves even quicker.

2> Un-bolt the old U-bolts, the rear shocks, place some blocks of wood on the ground, set the rear axle on them.

3> cut/grind/saw the old spring clips and centering pins out. Directions tell you to either remove second longest leaf, or leave it in depending on your hauling/trailer use.

4> reassemble leaf pack, with AAL up next to main leaf. Easiest way is to put C-clamps on either end, and use centering pins to keep everything straight.

5> Reattach rear axle using NEW U-bolts, don't be cheap. reattach lower shock mounts. If you are adding new shocks it is eaiser to do that with the axle laying on the wood.

As far as opinions, I liked what my 2" looked like when I put it on. It has not settled level, and now my rear lift is about 1 1/2" on one side, and close to 2 1/2" on the other. When I put it on it was between 3 - 4" of rear lift.

But, I am rough on things, I did wreck a Mako lift, so with more mall-crawling than I do.

thats, ima take all the good advice i got and hopefully turn it into a successful project

XJNinja said:
thats, ima take all the good advice i got and hopefully turn it into a successful project

It really was pretty easy, just take your time and relax. Get a cooler full of cold drinks, and enjoy doing it!

:cheers:

w_howey said:

The poly spacer is 1 3/4" thick. The stock spacer is 3/4" thick. Yes they do fit together. If you remove the stock spacer and just install the poly spacer, you will be raising your front end a whopping 1" above stock. I don't think you're "simple" 5 steps are as easy as installing 2 shackles. I've had rigs with add-a-leafs and shackles. I prefer shackles. Rusty's shackles are about 3" longer than stock, for a net gain of about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4". I think add-aleafs ARE difficult to install, and when you're done, you end up with a harsh ride, and you may end up with anywhere between 2" to 4" of lift in the rear, which is fine if you want to look like a '76 Nova.

Back