• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Figure this one out.........:)

ZombiE

NAXJA Forum User
This started to happen to me yesterday. When I get in my Jeep after it sits for longer than an hour and then start it, the Radio and the A/C do not come on, no power. If I then slide the A/C selector switch, from an A/C position, to the off position the radio comes on. Then I can go back to an A/C postion and it will eventually work, the A/C kicks on. Sometimes I have to move the slider switch to the off and then back to an A/C setting several times before it will kick the A/C on. Now, I have looked in my FSM and I cannot for the life of me find a relay or some other "item" that the A/C and the radio draw power from. If anyone can throw out some ideas I will be greatful and will look and try them.
OH I have already pulled the stereo to see if there where any pinched wires or anything like that, none that I saw...

Thanks all, this is a 95 Cherokee Sport 4.0l

Alex

look at the fan switch wires mine did the same thing wires were burning off

Try pulling the stereo but leave it connected and then try to duplicate the problem with the stereo out of the cavity. Maybe something in the back of the AC control is getting hung up on a radio wire.

I know on the back of my AC/heater control the slider that controls temp is hooked up to a cable. I can see where this can pose a problem for any of the wiring in that area if any of them were to get caught up in the mechanism that moves that cable. This is on my 87 btw. Not sure if yours is the same.

That's my two cents. HVAC is another one of my weak areas.

Thanks for the replies. I will look into those and see if I can come up with something and post back my findings.

MDXJ, when you found that did you just replace the bad wiring. I actually have several if not all of the connectors for the dash, raped a rolled XJ a friend had, so I have the connectors that would go to the HVAC panel. THere is one for the switch and another one on top of the panel assembly. I'll pull those items tonight and give it a good look around.

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited:
I agree with MDXJ. That's good place to start. If '95 is heavily Chryslerized you wil probably see this problem eventually. I just replaced the front blower resistor block in my '96 Plymouth Voyager. It was located on the firewall above the low pressure AC hose. The Jeep's is probably in a similar location. The connectors corrode causing intermittent failure and eventually total failure of the reduced fan functions. Mine worked fine in the OFF and FULL position but none in-between.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

Well after going through my FSM and looking at the wiring, I figured it out :)

I actually thought of this the first time I looked at the FSM, but I have recently replaced my ignition switch and that was the only thing common that I traced back through the wiring diagrams. So I started looking else where and I ended right back at the ignition switch. It's bad. Not fully but heading that way. When I start the Jeep and let go of the key there is a "Dead spot" there. So I can move the key back a hair and get it to give power out.

Ok now my question to you guys that have replaced the ignition switch, where did you buy yours? Dealer? I bought mine at Advanced Auto and I don't want to have to replace another one in 6 months. That's how long this one lasted. I paid $28.00 for it. I'll pay more, like from the dealer, if it will last longer. Any place else to buy one? I have an O'Rieley's and advanced junk zone near me.

Thanks all,

Alex

I paid around $10 for one at Autozone. I can't attest to its reliability as this is the first one I've had to install. So far so good.

Back