• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna

Geepfreak

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone using, or has had experience with the type of antenna that attaches to the window with adhesive, and sends the signal throught the glass to a receiver stuck on the opposite side.

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY !!!!
Remember the antenna makes the system. A quality antenna will make a cheap radio transmit and receive well, but a cheap antenna will not allow a quality radio to transmit and receive well....
Spend your money wisely and purchase a quality antenna..... such as a Wilson 1000 (magnetic or roof mount) and you will be glad you did.

I've been using the magnetic type on the XJ for years, wanting to hard mount one, but not up by the hood(trucker style). Thought if the glass was any good might try it, anyone tried putting it horizontally above the roof?

Geepfreak said:
Thought if the glass was any good might try it, anyone tried putting it horizontally above the roof?

The Glass ones are garbage. I had one, until my wiper caught it & broke the wiper. Mounting an antena hoizontal, is going to make it severly directional, & pretty much worthless.

Geepfreak said:
Is anyone using, or has had experience with the type of antenna that attaches to the window with adhesive, and sends the signal throught the glass to a receiver stuck on the opposite side.

I had one, I drive about 5K miles a month across the Midwest, I actually use a CB for more than trail duty. I will put this very simply...

THEY SUCK!!!

I paid 40 for mine and threw it out after 1 month, even a bad stick antenna is better that the POS that I had on my window. The model I had was Radio Shack.

HTH

Rev

Rev Den said:
THEY SUCK!!!

Yup, same goes for cellular antennas that work on the same principle (induction). As other folks have pointed out, your antenna is the most important component in your CB setup; you will never get as good a signal out of the window-mount types as you will with fixed-line units.

Taking price, performance (with tuning), and availability into account as the main criteria for an antenna, something like Radio Shack's magmount CB antenna is probably your best bet. No, it isn't the ultimate in CB antennas - but it works surprisingly well, stands up to abuse, will stick to your roof at 85mph, and can be taken down (read: less for thieves to be attracted to) when you don't need it.

Back