• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie sayin hi,Plus a question bout 98 xj!

G60GTI

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys i just came across this site and it is full of great info. My family has had jeeps ever since i was a baby, and I recently acquired a 98 xj red. The truck has been babied its whole life and only has 60k on it. I am looking forward to start modding it, but first i am tring to get a few bugs worked out. So the question i have is with the speedo and tach. Sometimes when i start the truck up they will not come on, i have found that when i hit the blinker they start working? And then also while i am driving they sometimes shut off, and again if i use my blinker they turn back on? I was just wondering if this has benn a common problem in these vehicles, or is my truck just blessed with an electrical gremlin? Thanks.

There is a multi-pin connector that attaches the instrument cluster to the dashboard wiring harness. It's prone to developing an intermittent connection. The fix is to remove the cluster, CAREFULLY clean the contacts on both halves, and then apply a bit of dielectric grease to the connection before putting it back together. Problem solved, usually permanently.

Ok cool. Thank you. The search function is a good feature, i found all sorts of stuff. Thanks for the repy though! I cant wait to get these couple of little things worked out an start going crazy with mods. I cant believe i am going to mod this thing, you think i would have learned a lesson after spending so much money on a car that i could have put myself through school with no loans? I guess we are all just sick.

G60GTI said:
The search function is a good feature, i found all sorts of stuff. I guess we are all just sick.

You find most of us are if you use the SEARCH function enough. Welcome aboard.

( hee.. hee.. now we can screw with the new guy...) oh did I type that again?? :gag:

DAMN... just kidding..

AZ Jeff said:
There is a multi-pin connector that attaches the instrument cluster to the dashboard wiring harness. It's prone to developing an intermittent connection. The fix is to remove the cluster, CAREFULLY clean the contacts on both halves, and then apply a bit of dielectric grease to the connection before putting it back together. Problem solved, usually permanently.
the fix is to replace the connector for the cluster, not clean it. jeep has a tsb for that and cleaning will only temporarily solve the problem. if you are going to remove the cluster, you might as well do it right the first time so you wont have to do it again at a later date. the parts are only about $30. if you decide to replace the connector you MUST solder the new wiring. any jeep dealer will stock what you need.

jneary said:
the fix is to replace the connector for the cluster, not clean it. jeep has a tsb for that and cleaning will only temporarily solve the problem. if you are going to remove the cluster, you might as well do it right the first time so you wont have to do it again at a later date. the parts are only about $30. if you decide to replace the connector you MUST solder the new wiring. any jeep dealer will stock what you need.
why replace something that can be cleaned and why spend money on something that can be fixed just as good for free? if done right it wont happen again, and if your not familier with soldering you can damage a slightly expencive part. its not hard enough to pull the cluster and clean the pins to warrent spending the money on replacing the connector and risking damage to the cluster from a hot soldering iron.

scoobyxj said:
why replace something that can be cleaned and why spend money on something that can be fixed just as good for free? if done right it wont happen again, and if your not familier with soldering you can damage a slightly expencive part. its not hard enough to pull the cluster and clean the pins to warrent spending the money on replacing the connector and risking damage to the cluster from a hot soldering iron.

Because it WILL work better.

Hurt what with a hot soldering iron?

Have you done a connector change yet, with factory parts?

mark

Mark, while I am certain that putting in the new connector will fix it, I also know that, if you know what you are doing, you can IMPROVE the existing connector. (The key here is KNOWING what to do, and being CAREFUL.)

The original connector suffers from low contact pressures between the two halves. This causes what is called "fretting corrosion" to build up in the connection. The corrosion causes intermittent contact.

Cleaning the contacts, "tweaking" the contacts to increase pressure, and using dielectric grease to seal out oxygen at the microscopic level eliminates the issue of fretting corrosion.

(I work with the design of connectors for a living, so that's why I know how to fix them.)

For many guys, obtaining the kit from Chryco is probably a better solution.

scoobyxj said:
dont be a tight wad. if cleaning the connector really fixed the problem, then chrysler wouldnt have issued a revised connector. i see them quite often at work where the customer has cleaned the before and it still malfunctions. i dont know what experience you have with jeeps on a daily basis but i can only tell you cleaning the connector isnt permanent. if you are careful you wont damage anything while soldering. if you are not confident then pay soeont to do it right.

jneary said:
dont be a tight wad. if cleaning the connector really fixed the problem, then chrysler wouldnt have issued a revised connector. i see them quite often at work where the customer has cleaned the before and it still malfunctions. i dont know what experience you have with jeeps on a daily basis but i can only tell you cleaning the connector isnt permanent. if you are careful you wont damage anything while soldering. if you are not confident then pay soeont to do it right.[/QUOTE

sorry guys i wasnt trying to be a smart ass on this but that is what i meant. and you can damage a plastic part with a 1800* soldering iron so if your not confident with one then let the dealer do it.

jneary said:
i work on jeeps for a living and i know how to fix them
jneary--I understand where you are coming from. 90% of the owners out there will be better off with a new connector, and Chryco has come up with a good solution to this problem.

Then there are the other 10% of us who like to do our own stuff when possible, and take pride in our own work. Not to "dis" those who work on vehicles for a living, but I enjoy fixing stuff myself. Hence, my suggested route.

That's what you get for being an engineer....you think you know best :D

the dealer will sell you what you need for about $30. if you are going to remove the cluster, you might as well fix it right while you are there. it should only take you about 20 minutes more. you can cover the steering column shroud to protect it from damage.

Back