• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alright, someone school me on installing BPs.

JnJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone explain how to install Barpins? I've tryed the press and the vice and have only managed to destroy one shock bushing. What is the trick?

They came with my Skyjacker shocks and I had a heck of a time installing them too. I tried to install them into the bushing both before and after putting them into the shock hole. I tried using silicone spray, grease, and WD-40, but I finally found a way that worked semi-well thru trial and error.

First lube the BP with a light coat of engine oil and push into the bushing(it should go in pretty easy). The put a light coat of engine oil on the outside of the bushing. Also oil the inner circle of the shock hole. push the shock onto the bushing/BP assembly as far as you can by hand and then wedge both ends of the barpin into your vice. Keep closing the vice until it gets a good hold of both ends of the barpin. Then you will be able to manipulate the shock until it is centered on the bushing and barpin.

Good Luck...

Beezil said:
holy shit........

you built your own longarm system, but want to know how to install barpins?

sober up.

Hey don't pick and the special ed guy! Really Beez, I've been in the Army for 20 years, some times simple logic is a challange for me. :)

I'm not going to get much wheelin' in this year and you don't have the memory capacity to do it next year, so unless youi're coming up to Michigan anytime soon. :flipoff::peace:

LOL You guys kill me...

Don't tell anyone, but after two days of trying to fix a 2000+ rpm idle condition in mommies XJ (you know...pick the low-hanging fruit first: clean IAC & TB, swap TPSs, buy new DVOM, set TPS per FSM, add new ground... No dice.) I grabbed a $2 pair of pliers and bent the throttle lever away from the stop a bit... Presto! Who needs a Master Tech when ya got cheap pliers handy.

LOL I gotta do BPs this weekend and JnJ saved me from a really lame 'help!' post :cheers:

Thanks Bro!

Oh and BTW :idea: last time I checked around the site I found these really kewl TECH FORUMS for this stuff.

Woody, the "trick" to installing them was never reveiled in this thread and I'm not telling you until you post a new thread in the proper forum. So there.

White grease, a vise, and a grinder

1. Knock off the corners on one side of the pin with a file or grinder.

2. Lube eye (the shock eye, dummy) and pin with white grease.

3. Use vise to press in.

Ta-Da!!!

(I went through one before I fugured it out also.

John

John-Boy, you must be new, we never help Woody! Anyway, you nailed it all but the last part, a hammer will do fine, no need for the vice.

New to this forum, but I've been lurking around NAXJA since at least 98/99. Finally paid up and will be a member as soon as snail mail gets the application to ya.

I spend time here and on JU, but now that you made the forum change, probably more here (I hated the old style)

Looking forward to meeting some of y'all up at Paragon.

John

Back