• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeeps Rubicon SYE

family XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if it is any good? I just happened to notice that they made that factory change finally and had no idea they had done it. Looking for some info for the wifes lifted TJ? I know This should be on some forum somewhere else but I really don't trust others for an honest answer. Plus we just got the 02 TJ complete with lift and 33's.

TIA
Doug

It is actually a completely new t-case with 4to1 along with the SYE. The actual name escapes me right now but someone will post it.

NV241 Rock-Trac

EDIT: it isn't quite as good as most of the kits they sell for the 242 and 231; it is a fixed yoke alright, but it does not have a CV driveshaft. So it still has vibe issues at higher lifts. I'm pretty sure this is correct...someone correct me if I am wrong.

Why does everybody think that cv driveshafts are sooo much better than a non-cv driveshaft? OK they "help" eliminate vibs but the are not as strong as non-cv shafts. I run a cv shaft and still have vibs on my next shaft I will not run the cv.

As to Drew's comment, the issue of CV or non-CV driveshaft has nothing to do with the transfer case. The Rubicon 241OR has a short-shaft, fixed yoke output, and that's what we like to see.

Presence or absence of a CV joint (actually a double cardan joint, which despite the fact that it's often referred to as a CV joint, isn't really) does not create vibrations. A u-joint is designed to operate with a certain range of angularity. As the angularity ibcreases, the life of the u-joint decreases. At a certain point, the angle axceeds the ability of the u-joint to cope.

That's when you go to a double cardan joint. Since it comprises two u-joints within a single assembly, it can run at (theoretically) twice the angularity of a single u-joint.

That is the ONLY real reason to run a double cardan joint. For moderate lifts where the single u-joint angularity is not exceeded, I see absolutely no point to adding the weight and complexity of a double cardan, coupled with the need to then shim the rear axle to make the rear u-joint angle as close to zero as possible.

I will be installing a JB Conversions SYE on my 2000 5-speed, which has Up Country but no lift. I'm doing it only to enhance durability and to eliminate vibes, not because of any lift. I will use a driveshaft with a conventional yoke on each end and a slip joint in the shaft, no double cardan. I expect that setup to perform well and to be a huge improvement over the stock setup.

The correct number is NVG 241-J, that's what it says on the tag on the transfer case that I bought.
It is a fixed yoke, but it is a Ford flange(definitely a flange, what it fits I don't know for sure just yet). The front output uses a 1330 u-joint instead of the 1310. It also has a hefty harmonic balancer on the rear output.
At this point it looks like driveshafts for the installation are not going to be cheap.
Fred

Back