• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First regearing try...

bgcntry72

NAXJA Forum User
After working my 'stock gears/one locker' angle to death, I decided to regear my rig myself.
I did a lot of reading, looked at a lot of pictures, and gave it a shot.
I finished the 44 today, and am happy with my first pattern.
Not so scary with the right (borrowed) tools and some phone tech.
These are 4.88s with a LockRight in my 44.
Drive side:
44DrivePattern.JPG

Coast side:
44CoastPattern.JPG

Backlash is .006, and pinion depth ended up .001 shallower than with the 3.55s that were in it at .071.
Used .030 shims on one side and .035 on the other, and then added .003 per side for preload.
I had to pull the carrier 4 times and the pinion 3 times before I was able to lose the setup bearings.
Zen and the art of not throwing tools through a wall.
Lot of sharp things to be found in a 44 housing when holding a heavy carrier covered in grease.
I am sore, tired, and need a beer.
Opinions welcomed.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Thats looks pretty good,whats the backlash?

LUCK???
You, sir, are a bastard.
I worked for this, big time.
I am beat like a teen penis, but feel like Daniel-San when he realized he wasn't just waxing cars and painting fences.
:greensmok

Big Country will do anyones gears for nothing more than three cans of beer and a couple slices of Veggie-lovers pizza.

Saturdays only, please. On sunday, he is in the house of the lord.

Stick said:
Looks like a text book pattern...good deal man....can you come and do the front of mine now ?

:wierd:
If you can spot a textbook pattern, then read that book and learn to do your own.

Looks good. if you were anal about it then you could add that .001'' back into the pinion. but i try tobe overly critical.

Congratulations BC on your install ...

You're right about luck ... the only luck involved is in maintaining your patience. Enjoy the gears ...
Bgcntry72 said:
Zen and the art of not throwing tools through a wall.

Les

Excellent.
Bg, whenever you're available come on down to Indiana to set, ah, I mean have a beer, yea, just come on down for a couple beers. It'll be fun, just us and the gears, I mean beers.

Rawbrown said:
Looks good. if you were anal about it then you could add that .001'' back into the pinion. but i try tobe overly critical.

With that .001" added in, the pinion was a little 'loose' for my liking.
Granted, this is my first R&P, but it 'felt' better without that .001".
Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.
:cheers:

Last edited:
TNScrambler said:
Good job on your fist set.

Nashville....just wondering what this question had to do with gears though?

Justin

INCORRECT.

Dollywood is the capital of tennesee.

A good, full contact pattern is shaped like the state of tennesee

JnJ said:
Your a jerk! :D
Learn how to spell. Poor spelling takes away from the insult by making you look like an idiot. It's "you're" not "your". As in "You're an illiterate bonehead." and "Where did you get your education, you ignorant jackass."
1spankbottom.gif

Back