• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VSS woes continue

gator_grabber

NAXJA Forum User
Our 98 showed a "check engine light" code that indicated the problem was the vehicle speed sensor. I replaced the VSS, disconnected the battery and turned the key to 'start' for 30 seconds, reconnected the battery and drove off. Sure enough, the engine light came back on. The speedo and tranny seem to be working fine (no different than before), so I'm at a loss. Any ideas??
Thanks!

gator_grabber said:
Our 98 showed a "check engine light" code that indicated the problem was the vehicle speed sensor. I replaced the VSS, disconnected the battery and turned the key to 'start' for 30 seconds, reconnected the battery and drove off. Sure enough, the engine light came back on. The speedo and tranny seem to be working fine (no different than before), so I'm at a loss. Any ideas??
Thanks!
Is your speedo on the dash showing speed? when you put it into the tcase you have to "line it up"

gator_grabber said:
Speedo reads just fine; tranny shifts just like always too...If it wasn't for that little light, all would appear to be well.
My bad... I just realized that I was thinking speedo not vss......

Are you sure you're reading the code correctly?

If the speedo is working it would be hard to think the VSS is bad.

mark

Do you have Anti-Lock brakes ? A wheel speed sensor could be bad.
Wayne

The code was read twice at AutoZone, but that doesn't insure anything. Is there a code reader out there that someone would recommend? Yes, the vehicle does have antilock brakes. How does one go about locating a bad sensor? Thanks.

Wayne Sihler said:
Do you have Anti-Lock brakes ? A wheel speed sensor could be bad.
Wayne

it could be but that wouldn't light up the " CHECK YOUR F'N :eek: ENGINE " light. It would light up the "your ABS is a POS" light.

Check engine light would relate to Engine sensors (i.e. 02 sensor, CPS, ECM, blah blah blah...you get it)

IT ain't your ABS...

Some codes that illuminate the Check Engine light take several ("5" I believe) cycles of running the engine for a designated period of time and reading no problem with that component before the Check Engine light will extinguish.

CharlesS said:
Some codes that illuminate the Check Engine light take several ("5" I believe) cycles of running the engine for a designated period of time and reading no problem with that component before the Check Engine light will extinguish.

NOT!

Some do take a few cycles before it comes on but not to turn off.

Disco the battery for a few minutes then try it. No key turning needed.

mark

red91inWA said:
it could be but that wouldn't light up the " CHECK YOUR F'N :eek: ENGINE " light. It would light up the "your ABS is a POS" light.

Check engine light would relate to Engine sensors (i.e. 02 sensor, CPS, ECM, blah blah blah...you get it)

IT ain't your ABS...
Check Engine Light will come on If there is a malfunction in the ECM system.
A battery sensor,Power steering pressure,AC system,cruise,or loose fuel cap can trigger the CEK light.
On 1998 and later models the PCM recieves speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor.
It may be time to take it to a shop with a good OBD 11 scan tool and get it checked.

Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Check Engine Light will come on If there is a malfunction in the ECM system.
A battery sensor,Power steering pressure,AC system,cruise,or loose fuel cap can trigger the CEK light.
On 1998 and later models the PCM recieves speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor.
It may be time to take it to a shop with a good OBD 11 scan tool and get it checked.

Wayne

OK. but the PCM should kick on the abs light.

Wayne Sihler said:

Wayne

This doesn't make sense, what if the jeep doesn't have ABS?

Why would DC make two systems? With and without ABS.

VSS is at the tcase for XJs from everything I've seen, but ?????

For my info, Where did you here this?

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
This doesn't make sense, what if the jeep doesn't have ABS?

Why would DC make two systems? With and without ABS.

VSS is at the tcase for XJs from everything I've seen, but ?????

For my info, Where did you here this?

mark

From the latest edition of the Haynes Manual.And from my friend the owner of a NAPA and ASE certified garage.
what are the specific codes ?Not light flashes but a P1 or P0 code from a scan tool.
Also disconecting the battery is not advisable,as it can set more codes.Clear the codes with the scan tool.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Also disconecting the battery is not advisable,as it can set more codes.Clear the codes with the scan tool.
?? disconnecting battery clears ALL codes, I don't recall it ever setting any codes. I know you're not supposed to do it before getting it smogged though cause they want to see a history of "no codes" but I took mine it to get it smogged after swapping the battery in the jeep and it passed with flying colors.

Back