• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important Dash question!

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
So come to find out, when I boiled the brake fluid, I also melted the wiring harness in the engine and under the dash. So I have to rewire a small part of the underhood and half of the under dash. I am going to go ahead and remove the stock dash and make a custom SCORE looking dash out of aluminum.

I have a few options with what to do about wiring.

1. Repair burnt and melted wires, replace most connectors

2. Find a parted out XJ and take what i need, and still have a PIA.

3. Call painless wiring.

I am by no means new to electronics, so this crap is easy for me but it still sucks to do. Has anyone dealt with Painless? Would that even be an inexpensive option?

Matt

i believe that he is talking about a compition looking dash like one you might find in a race car or a rock buggy.

hey little dog :roll: it would probbly be easist to score a parted out xj. painless is kind of expencive. and i dought they have an xj spacific harness. you could go with using your own wire but if you had a parts xj you could just cut the hole harness off before the bad place and splice in the new one using all the plugs from the new one. anyway hope mho helps in your desision.

HAHA sup Big Dogg!

Yea a race style aluminum dash, painted to match. Nice gauges, clean switches, and hopefully half the necessary wiring.

I know that just splicing in the new part will be easiest, but finding that crap is going to be annoying. Any one have some leads?

Anyone have some hookups on Gauges?

Matt

I know that painless does make jeep specific wire harnesses, they start around $375. Repair the bad section would be the cheapest, but it could fail again later. You could score a whole harness pretty cheap in the scrapyard, I know that when i bought my spare 4.0L he offered me the harness too, but i didn't need it.

Scrappy said:
HAHA sup Big Dogg!

Yea a race style aluminum dash, painted to match. Nice gauges, clean switches, and hopefully half the necessary wiring.

I know that just splicing in the new part will be easiest, but finding that crap is going to be annoying. Any one have some leads?

Anyone have some hookups on Gauges?

Matt

I can't say enough about autometer gauges, I have ran many of them and they have all worked well. They have godd customer service and are good with returns (gauge issues, calibration etc...). I have even had the pleasure of being in there factory before. Everything is made in the USA right here in IL!

Back