• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator fusable link- 2001 XJ

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
I'm planning on upgrading the charging and battery wiring in anticipation of future lights, winches, radios, etc.

The FSM shows a fusable link in the alternator's output wire, the one that goes to the Power Distribution Center, connecting to the battery. Nowhere does the FMS indicate the size of the fusable link.
Anyone know the amperage rating of the link

If you're planning on changing the wiring, just add a fuseable link rated at anything higher than the output rating of your alternator, and you won't blow it unless there's a short. Worked for me. HTH

jeo said:
If you're planning on changing the wiring, just add a fuseable link rated at anything higher than the output rating of your alternator, and you won't blow it unless there's a short. Worked for me. HTH
I'm not too sure I'm following the reasoning here. It seems to me that the fusable link would be protecting the wiring on the power distribution side, or to keep from overloading the line out from the alternator itself. With a line heavy enough to safely handle beyond the max output of the alternator, it seems to me that the circuits on the distribution side would be fine as they are fused at that junction.
If I'm wrong here it wouldn't be the first time, but it'd be nice to know before I fry something (done that before too).

I know how old this thread is, blame it on the search. :kissyou:

TIA,

Tim

60amp if I recall...

XJ_ranger said:
personaly i hate fuseable links... id rather run a real fuse or a circut breaker - largely because i dont want to replace wire... fuses are just much easier

f you are re-wiring anyway - then just throw it away and make another type of fuse...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=136048

I'm with you on fusable links, really try to avoid inline fuses as well for smaller applications. The breaker seems to be a good way to go.
However, I'm getting some conflict relating to amps. The rating for the alternator is 124 Amps. One of the above posts would have me use ~120 breaker vs. the latter 60 amp unit. Agreed, the 60 would error on the side of caution.
I guess what is confusing me is, what am I protecting here, and how? I guess what I'm asking here is for someone to break out with the crayons and draw me a picture.
:dunce:

Back