• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is the best/cheap SYE & drive shaft?

red93xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've got Rusty's 4.5, 3/4 shackles and spacers and some minor vibes. I'm looking at the RE hack"n"tap b/c of the price and simplicity of the install. i want to install it myself but don't have the tools to press bearings and all that jazz.
thanks'
Red

if u do the RE kit you dont have to press any bearings. u do have to press in a seal, but u can use a simple vice if your careful with it. i did it myself not having any experience with the kit or with tapping metal and mine is still going good to this day.

a lot of people will most likely tell you that the RE kit sucks and that u should get a "real" SYE. but if you look at people that have used the kit then u see that it holds up nicely. Pair8hd has had 35's on his for a long time and now has 37's with no problems...and farmermatt has 35's and wheels so tough terrain and his is still going strong. so dont let people scare u away.

Brad

It's $200 if you're lazy and don't know where to look....

I have te same Lift kit on my 2001 Xj and have some vibes, so I just ordered the kit today. I will try to install it this weekend and will let you know how it goes. By the way if you go here http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/ then go to Drivetrain on the left there is a install article with pictures on the RE Kit.

Im not to lazy I was able to find an AA for $210.00 shipped. For the little savings of hunting down the RE Id rather have the bigger shaft. Now if I had the newer XJ I would have gone the RE route.

I have a 93' and the SYE is my next mod. by neccesity (I want to lift it more). I am not lazy, but have not been as of yet able to find one for that price! Where did you find that deal if you don't mind me asking?

RJ, aka TOZOVR, is an RE dealer ;) ;) You might try talking to HIM for a better price ;) ;)

Ary

You cant have both,its your choice.For the little bit of price difference I would definately go with the AA/JB kit.

If you get the JB conversions SYE you don't have to press the bearing or anything on. I think I got mine from Windrock Off Road. It was like $470 w/Tom Wood's driveshaft. It really isn't a very hard install either. Just make sure you get a set of true Lock ring pliers.

I have an AA SYE from Tom Woods with his HD driveshaft. I didn't have to press any bearings, but I did have to remove some. On my 93 t-case, the sprocket that holds the chain on the main shaft had bearings that made the inside diameter too small to fit on the new HD main shaft. They were pressed out and the sprocket just sits on the main shaft with a thin film of lube inbetween them. Works well. I regret absolutely nothing about the mod, even if it did take me 3 months to figure out how to install the damn thing properly.

i know a"real" SYE is gonna cost me about same amount, but the install seems much easier with the RE,except im not sure what you have to do different on an early model.

it doesnt look hard to seal up the housing, is that the only difference?

I left mine on the vehicle and did it and it took about 3-4 hours. that was for the JB conversions.

you can do it either way.When i do them for a friend who own a 4x4 shop we take them out and clean them then do the kit. I have it down to 3 hour total. And i have yet to have to press seals or bearing in place but on some years you do have to remove the roller bearings so the shaft will fit. Its sad I can't count how may I've done but have yet to put mine in.

Can someone list the tools needed for the sye? i have 00xj and my kit is on the way. Will i need a bearing puller?

the best deal i have found is from BigOffroad.com. i'm running 6.5" and 33's and John hooked me up with the heavy duty AA 231 SYE, and a custom Tom Woods shaft shipped for $550.
Rockhound

Back