• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good place to get OEM parts

PFunk242

NAXJA Member #1161
My jeep has started leaking oil more and more so i am planning on pulling the motor and replacing all of the seals/gaskets. Does anyone have a good cheep sourse for OEM parts??

Thanks for any help.

Fenton Beech
Macedonia, OH/Blairsville, PA
1992 Cherokee 4.0 H.O.
1989 Volvo 765 Ti.

PFunk242 said:
My jeep has started leaking oil more and more so i am planning on pulling the motor and replacing all of the seals/gaskets. Does anyone have a good cheep sourse for OEM parts??

Thanks for any help.

Fenton Beech
Macedonia, OH/Blairsville, PA
1992 Cherokee 4.0 H.O.
1989 Volvo 765 Ti.

You don't need to pull it to do the seals. By qualtiy stuff unless you like to do it more than once. Did all mine on a wekend with the motor in, a cranky wife and, a 16 mnth son who desperately wanted to be the tool holder.

that was 6 months ago. no leaks yet.

First exmaine your engine to figure out where the leak is coming from.

If there is oil:

* On top of the valve cover then it a bad oil filler or the Crankscase vent hoses. I'd get those parts at the dealer.

* Are the valve cover bolts loose? The ones by the firewall were real loon on my 88 XJ. You may want to pull of the valve cover, clean everything then reassemble. Up to the mid 90s RTV was applied to the valve cover at the factory then cured. Find out the bolt torque and torque from the center out. Tighten all 15 bolts/studs, wait 10 minutes and do it again to verify the torque. You will need a deep socket, 11mm on my 88 XJ, and a torque wrench. Do not try to use the calibrated arm. The manual says to touch up the RTV with new if it is damaged. I installed a fel-pro cork/rubber gasket on my valve cover.

* Is oil coming from the oil filter mount? Go to the dealer and buy the set of three O-rings. There an article about changing the oil filter adaptor to accept a larger filter on older XJ, the article is at www.madxj.com and has good pictures.

Once you exhaust those then you are left with the rear main seal, oil pan gasket and the timing cover gaskets. The rear main is a pain to do, you have to pull the oil pan.

If you have some fresh cardboard lay it on your driveway and see where you XJ is leaking. Follow back up. A leaking valve cover gasket can look more like a rear main seal leak than an actual rear main seal leak.

Remember oil flows down hill once it leaves the interior of the engine.

I just bought this jeep about six mounths ago and the entire motor and most of the under side are coared in oil i can't tell where it is leaking from exactly. Hense replacing everything. So now back to what the question actuly was does anyone have a good place to get the parts from?

How are u able to replace the rear main seal w/o pulling the motor?

Fenton Beech
Macedonia, OH/ Blairsville,PA
1992 Cherokee 4.0 H.O.
1989 765 Ti.

Ah this is my first jeep i didn't know that the rear main was a tow peice seal.

Thanks for the Info.

Fenton Beech
1992 Cherokee 4.0 H.O.
1989 Volvo 765 Ti.

One of the best places to get parts is your Jeep dealer. I have found they are competitive on lots of parts. Yes, there are parts that are priced so you will go buy them elsewhere.

Owning an XJ it is good to be on a first name basis with the dealer parts guy. It will pay dividends down the road. I have ordered things and when they showed up it was the wrong thing. My dealer says "no problem" and put the item into their stock.

The benefit of getting them at your dealer is they are in stock or show up the next morning. I am totally impressed with the dealer oil pan gasket, it is a one piece not the classic 4 piece you have to RTV together. The oil filter mount uses 3 different size O-rings. I'd rather buy them at the dealer than to make the 4 trips to the parts store finding ones that will work.

If your oil leak it bad it may be worth it to put the dye in the oil then look for the leak with a black light. If it is that bad you may want to pay for 1 hour of a mechanics time to find the leak using this method. If they find the problem then you generally get 1.0 hour of labor to fix it.

Oh, if you do find a loose valve cover you will want to clean up everything before you reinstall. I got a gallon paint can with 3 qts of cleaner and a basket at the parts store. I put in all the bolts and in short order all the years of oil build up was gone. There also an article on cherokee america telling you how to clean the valve cover to fix the oil in the air filter problem.

It all depends on the part you need where you can mail order it from. For those things like gaskets just go pick them up at your dealer. The oil pan gasket is $40+ but worth every penny. When you do water pump work get the thermostat gasket and water pump gasket at the dealer. All very well made gaskets.

ill agree with these guys on where to get new parts like that. but if you are hunting for junk yard parts there is a good yard that Specializes in jeeps near Akron, ohio ill check on the name for you and post back..

couldnt find it. the web team must of cleaned it off already, sorry

Last edited:
Not to be a smart ass but if your looking for OEM parts, you usually can only get them from the dealer.

Original Equipment Manufacturer. Kinda says it all. If they are gaskets, Fel-Pro has never let me down once. You can get them all over town.

One more thing, the rear main seal is known for cutting a groove in the crankshaft. There is no way to slide on a repair sleeve like some GM motors. If/when I change my rear main seal I will use the Fel-Pro rear main. They make two versions for the 4.0 engine - single lip and double lip.

Buy a Fel-Pro double lip rear main seal and install it while you have the engine out of the vehicle. If you do have the groove in the crank then the second lip will run on virgin material and solve your leak problem. The other solution to fix a rear main seal leak is a new crank with the seal surface to factory specs.

PFunk242 said:
I just bought this jeep about six mounths ago and the entire motor and most of the under side are coared in oil i can't tell where it is leaking from exactly. Hense replacing everything. So now back to what the question actuly was does anyone have a good place to get the parts from?

Hit it with engine degreaser and watch the new leak! I did this to mine, and it so happens I had 2 leaks; one tranny line and the oil filter adapter. Both were easily fixed in a couple hours for less than $50 in parts. I mean, unless you really have a hankering to do everything....

red91inWA said:
Not to be a smart ass but if your looking for OEM parts, you usually can only get them from the dealer.

Original Equipment Manufacturer. Kinda says it all. If they are gaskets, Fel-Pro has never let me down once. You can get them all over town.
but its not always practall to buy new parts from the dealer [though drivetrain and whearing parts i would only buy new]. for example 80$ for the plastic bumperett on a 97+ is a little high in my book. when you could find the same part [with a little hunting] for probbley about 25$ in a junk yard, or scoring some accessary that your jeep didnt come with that you wouldnt mind having.

Thats what i am saying scooby. I realize that i can go to the dealership/stealership and buy all of the parts that i need but i would much rather order them from somewhere online for half if not even a third of what the dealership wants. It isn't so much that i am chepp it is just why should i throw money away if i can get it cheeper somewhere else. Like the 40 dolars for the oil pan gasket when there is somewhere else that sells a one peace gasket for 23. Why would i ever spend the 40?

Also scooby i woudl love to know what the name of and where that yard near akron is. Since i am not in school now and in ohio since i blew my knee out.

Fenton Beech
1992 Cherokee 4.0 H.O.
1989 Volvo 765 Ti.

Like I said in the other post I made... so far I like www.soonerjeep.com in OKC. Had a really good price on what I needed last week and from what I could tell really good service. I also live in TX so I had it shipped, the shipping didn't cost any extra and it got to me in 2 days. No better feeling than getting a $143 part for only $25

Scooby did you find out the name of that yard near akron??

Fenton Beech
1992 Cherokee 4.0 H.O.
1989 Volvo 765 Ti

Back