• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug nut size? (Main part of two piece) Can't get wheel off

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to take my wheels off to prep a few things before I install my lift. I got every single lug nut loose except one so I can't take the wheel off. It is rusted/seized on to the bolt really bad (already sprayed it for days with PB blaster). I've tried a bunch of different sockets, some seemed to fit and now the front part of the lug nut is rounded off but I think the back may be fine. I don't have a socket that goes deep enough. Wondering what size the inner part is without the damn tin covering (must be 3/4" with it on) so I can buy a deep socket that will hopefully work. Must be something metric that would fit? Any reccomendations or tips? Should I just go to a tire shop and have sombody with a impact wrench try to take it off?

Thanks in advance for any help.

AZ carries a tool that gets rounded off nuts/bolts out. You couls also wwld something cheap to it and break it loose. put it all back together and pay a shop to do it.

A 3/4 inch deep socket should fit, thats what I use to torque mine. Have you a given it a couple taps w/ the BFH?

If you peel off the tin, it's 18 millimeter. You can cut it off with a sharp cold chisel. If it's really on tight, you should probably get a 6-point impact socket for the job. And don't expect it to last long after the covering is off. When I tried it on my 87 the rust ate the corners off pretty quickly.

You probably already thought of this, but.... Be sure to tighten the other four nuts to 100 lb-ft before removing the one your focused on. This will reduce the preasure on the nut from the wheel and you may be able to remove it with reduced damage. It works, I know from experience!

Matt Currie is correct, 18mm with the cap off. since you were talking about deep sockets I assume you are dealing with the factory alloys with the deeply reccessed lugs. I've had this problem and can say from my experience PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION! We tried the special lug nut removal sockets and only succeded in making the nut almost completely round. Pounded a smaller socket on and tried that wiht the most powerful impact we had, wouldn't budge. Tried three foot Snap-on power bar and broke it. Got another power bar and tried that, this resulted in a snap which I immediately assumed was the lug breaking off (which I was ok with by this point since I was trying to get the wheel off because the tread was seperating from the tire carcasse). What actually happened was much worse. THE LUG NUT BROKE IN HALF. The nut broke where the hex portion joins the round flared portion leaving absolutely no way to get the remaining portion of the nut off. What a pain drilling the lug out and grinding the remainder out with a die grinder. I wound up with four lugs untill I recently swapped in lower geared axles.

Tony

Just went through the same thing :gee: , took me 2 hours. 18mm is the inner diameter for sure... I bought a set of Husky tools from Home Cheapo. Pounded on the 18mm deep and used a breaker bar..(lug is still inside the socket, haven't figured out how to get it out yet) But that was after I broke 3 of my craftsmen tools. You definately want to put the other lugs back on prior to trying to remove.

Good Luck.

Thanks a lot guys. Just what I wanted to hear. Yup I have the other 4 lugs on tight. And yup I tried a BFH. Haven't went with the chisel quite yet. Yup I've got the factory alloys with the deep recessed nuts (Laredo) I'll pick up a 18mm deep socket on Saturday and keep ya posted.

I had one break in half like Tony did. Had to drill the stud to get the wheel off. The factory nuts are complete crap. I finally wised up and got aftermarket replacements for both our XJs. While I was at Pep Boys I also got folding 4-way lugwrenches that fit under the seat.

Larry A.

i had the same problem with mine. except i had the steel wheels that came on a sport. i cut the outer shell off and the then took a torch to it. didnt get it to hot but hot enough to get the nut off with an impact. also had this happen to me on my uncle exploder. that one i cut all the way off. the piece i couldnt get off i cut 2 slits it and used a bfh and a sharp flat blade chisel to break it the rest of the way off. good luck.

I might have to go to the BFH and torch method. Bought a 18mm deep socket today. Was in a real hurry at the hardware store and got one with an 3/8 drive. I got home and thought no problem I'll use my 1/2" to 3/8" adapter on the breaker bar. The adapter promptly snapped in half. Guess I'll have to get a hold of a 1/2" drive. (me=idiot)

Back