• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keyless entry reprogramming

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
is it possible to reprogram the 2000 xj FOB (2 button and panic), and will a zj/wj work with the xj. i took them apart and they look identacle (sp?). my buddy sold his grand and gave me a gray remote and i would like to make it work with my xj. the dealer says only he can do it...wants to charge me for it and testing the unit before hand to see if it even works. says he has one for 89 bucks, but thats why i call thenm "stealership". thanks for any insight into this.
oh yeah i did a search but years weren'tlisted. thanks again!

Last edited:
i'm not sure on the years, but i think the remote is the same from about 96 and up. tell the dealer you know it only takes 5 minutes and ask them what they charge. it does take time to get the scan tool and hook it up. that means taking somebody off a job to make .2 labor hours. maybe if you were a regular customer, they might consider not charging you to keep your business. but it seems like you steer clear from the dealer, they really dont owe you any favors.

Fobs are different on the 99+ XJ's vs. 97-98. some dealerships will program a fob as a free service but you'll have to check around. I had a Dodge dealership do mine on my 97. Later I also got a second remote for my Jeep dealer for $25 and it included free programming with the purchase of the fob.
$89 for a new fob sounds a little too steep IMO.

it depends on how pre 1995, some of the early xj remotes are puegot models and are nearly impossible. As for the remotes for 98 and up 56036859AD is the part number and list on it is 34.60, any good dealership should sell it to you for that. Programing on the other hand does have to be done at the dealership on those model years, however anything over 15 dollars is overkill for a 5 minute programing.

thanks for your input guys. i have the problem settled now. i just went to a different dealer and they did it for free as soon as i told them what boardwalk was trying to charge...they even laughed and commented about the time it took get steal a customer away...a total of ten minutes later they had me all buttoned up and ready to go. it was nice to know that its not about favors, but just plain honesty and support of a product they sell. thanks again.

biscuitboy87 said:
is it possible to reprogram the 2000 xj FOB (2 button and panic), and will a zj/wj work with the xj. i took them apart and they look identacle (sp?). my buddy sold his grand and gave me a gray remote and i would like to make it work with my xj. the dealer says only he can do it...wants to charge me for it and testing the unit before hand to see if it even works. says he has one for 89 bucks, but thats why i call thenm "stealership". thanks for any insight into this.
oh yeah i did a search but years weren'tlisted. thanks again!

I bought two fobs for my 98 XJ for about $80 ($40 each) at the dealer. They only charged $40 to program both. Do you have another dealership locally? I'd check with them if so. BTW, they need to use their computer to program them.

biscuitboy87 said:
thanks for your input guys. i have the problem settled now. i just went to a different dealer and they did it for free as soon as i told them what boardwalk was trying to charge...they even laughed and commented about the time it took get steal a customer away...a total of ten minutes later they had me all buttoned up and ready to go. it was nice to know that its not about favors, but just plain honesty and support of a product they sell. thanks again.

Guess you know where to go for service from now on? Its amazing the difference in attitudes between dealerships, you would think that since they play for the same team....

95XJCOUNTRY said:
I have a 95 keyless entry and a new remote...however the remote is not programed for my jeep, it is the same as the remote that did work with my jeep out of a 95 just like mine.....any ideas, I have searched and am having no luck
on the 95 you can program it yourself i believe, just cycle the key 3 times from off to on and on the third time leave the key in the run poistion and hold either the lock or the unlock button down on the transmitter for a few seconds and you should hear the locks actuate.

Back