• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need your thoughts on this before I lay down money...

sportsguy

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so if I return the Cherokee to stock height and upgrade the sway-bars/shocks for handling, I'm going to run 17" rims I think.

The question is based on this thought:

I've been scouring the Net for street jeeps, and I'm not totally taken with the skinny, low-profile-on-18's+ look I'm seeing. It's a personal choice and applaud those who've made it. (If you like it, my opinion is irrelevant.)

If I want to run a 17" rim, what size tire should I go with to help minimize the gap between the fender and tire, while not ending up with the rubber-band look.

There is somethng about a slim-line rim and really short side-wall that doesn't look quite in balance with the bulk and angles of the older Cherokees to my eye - again, it's only my personal observation.

I was originally thinking a tire like a 255/55/17 would do, but maybe I should use a 255/60/17 or 255/65/17 (if they're even made...

Thoughts? - I drive a 1994 4WD.

I would start with the stock tire size. Then go up one size on the width (205 to 215) and go down one on the sidewall (75 to 65). but that really only counts for stock rims. so then i would take another sidewall out for the rim size. Also remember that when the width goes up that same sidewall ratio will have a taller sidewall. so a 265/55 has a taller sidewall then a 245/55.
If your working with a tire shop, they should be able to tell you the diameter of a specific tire, do all your measurements to get the right gap, then figure out the diameter.. i think i am rambling..
Luda

Tire manufacturers web sites also list the tire dimensions. You'll probably want to look at diameter, section width, and tread width to see what will fit. I've found that the size selection of SUV performance tires is kinda limited, so availability may infuence what size tire you end up with also.

Dave

sportsguy,

I am running 17" TSW Apex Wheels wrapped with 255/60/17 Toyo Proxes S/T Tires.

Absolutely love them...

275689_196_full.jpg

275689_145_full.jpg

275689_162_full.jpg

Thnaks guys - I like the look fo the Cherokee, too.

That's about the gap I'm after, so I guess it's just down to the style of wheel.

...and I'm not overly concerned about using a non-suv specific tire for my choice. If I go this route, there will be no off-roading and I'll have winter's too.

Thanks again guys.

Duane

Back