• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody running an OX in their D30?

NotMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, my brother just bought a comanche with an OX locker in the front D30 and I have a couple questions about the operation and cabling.. I know some people on here don't like the OX lockers, and now that I have used both an ARB and the OX, I can see why...

First, the cable actuation seems to be REALLY stiff... I can pull up the collar and pull the little lever back but it's really tough to do and it doesn't feel like the collar completely seats in the locked position... the previous owner said that it would sometimes take a little backing up and driving forward and turning left and right to get everything to mesh up and engage, so I dunno...

Second, when I think I have the locker engaged, I can hear a loud banging every once in a while coming from the front-end while moving slowly forward and turning a slight amount... is this normal or something I should be worried about? I tested it on a gravel road in 4lo, but haven't really done much other than that with it. I'm hesitant to do much more testing because this noise seems kinda abnormal.

Anyway, anybody have any insight? Also, can anyone post some pictures of how they have their cable routed for the front, and where you've mounted the lever?

I generally like my OX. It clicks a little when turning sharp (while not engaged) though. And no, it's not my u-joints. I've tried adjusting the cable which seems to help but the sound comes and goes so for now I'm living with it.

I don't know about the banging you are hearing. If you are on a surface with too much traction you will have a heck of a time turning while locked. That would cause some binding, but banging, I don't know.

Mine engages great but sometimes it doesn't disengage quickly. Usually if I throw it in reverse (while not moving, I have an AT) that usually changes the tension on the unit enough to let it disengage. I put it back in a forward gear and it's fine and steerable again.

If it's already mounted in his MJ I'm not sure how this helps you but here is how I mounted my very stiff but functional lever.
1129.jpg

Back