• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter

JeepJockey said:
On the build sheet for my XJ, it list and item:
DHAP Torque Converter - Lock up

What is this?
A torque converter does for an automatic transmission what a clutch does for a manual - couples the engine to the transmission input.

Assuming you know how a torque converter works (if not, check out http://howstuffworks.com), the lockup converter allows the engine and trans to be directly linked at certain engine/road speeds. When locked up, there is less loss (slipping) in the drivetrain, and you get a little more efficiency out of the system. Of course, you can't stay locked up all the time, or it's like coming to a stop with a manual trans and not stepping on the clutch pedal.

HTH,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the info. Why would the build sheet list this as a seperate component? All auto-Trans need this work. Since it was listed as a unique item, I thought there might be some other use for item, such as a different name for posi-traction.

The only reason I can think of for it being listed separately is because it isn't a part of the transmission or engine.

"Posi-traction" is something else entirely: a limited-slip differential. Chrysler calls it "Trac-lock" - the "posi-traction" is a GM moniker.

Rob

Back