• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabing a gas tank skid, need plans

Diablito

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,
I want to build a gas tank skid for my 92' XJ. Does anyone have any plans? Has anyone done this before? Thanks for any help.

You can always find an OEM one and mock that with better steel. Thats what I'm gonna do. Most junk yards have the gas tanks and skids peeled off of their vehicles and leave em in the back seat to prevent rotting. It should be easy to find one if your xj doesnt have one. Good luck.

Diablito said:
Howdy,
I want to build a gas tank skid for my 92' XJ. Does anyone have any plans? Has anyone done this before? Thanks for any help.
Sorry no plans. I just measured and cut then welded it all together. I used the hitch as the main frame of the skid. The sides and rear of it are welded onto the hitch. Oh yeah, it's 3/16".
HTH

is.php

is.php

is.php

cheapxjwheeler said:
ok now thats sweet! Maybe I should rethink my plans. To hell with my old plan. Hope you dont mind okie.
Go fer it. That's why I put it up.

Forgot to add, the way it is, if I need to remove it, I just unbolt the hitch. Also, there is no vertical reinforcement, I haven't found an instance when I've needed it and I wheel big rocks and steep drops.

Terry, that looks awesome. I never thought about integrating it with the hitch but it makes more sense than replicating a lot of what the hitch does already. Nice job, I'm going to use those pics as inspiration for my gas tank skid as soon as I get a tank of oxygen for the torch so I can chop up some scrap metal. :)

Back