• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no oil pressure

1989laredoxj

NAXJA Forum User
hey yet another problem with my jeep. So im driving around and I look at all the gauges they are fine but I smell something funny from outside my car no idea what it was. So as I come up to a intersection I notice the oil pressure starts going way down. This only happens when im off the gas. I give it gas its fine. IM off the gas it goes wicked low. I dont want to seize my engine so what do i do

Excessive clearance in the bearings, 20W50 oil can help a little as well as slight over-filling. Replacing the oil pump and cleaning the pickup might help a little too, just be sure to check the pickup-pan clearance. They usually last quite a while if you're not too hard on it.

pick up pan clearance????no clue what that is. Im going to replace the oil pump and such and see if that helps it stays fine when its cold to its when its warmed up is when it starts dropping

Go to the Library and find one of the Pro Engine Assembly manuals and read the section on installing the oil pump. You also need to either crank the engine or spin the Dist with a drill until you get Oil Pressure.

When I noticed 0 oil pressure at idle, I found out that my rear main seal leak had gotten worse and I was down to about 2 quarts. Not cool!
Jeep on!
--Pete

I had the same issue, oil gauge would show low pressure. Then one day it said I had none. Everything seemed fine otherwise.

I replaced the oil pressure sending unit and now it stays up there at 40ish.

Cheap oil pressure sensors seem to be a common thing, try replacing it. Its only like $10 and takes just a minute to swap out.

Eliminate the easy answer if everything else seems fine.

Even though the oil pressure sending unit is not leaking YET.... It sounds like the sending unit is going bad.... Time to replace it.....

$10..... WHERE ?????
The ones I that I have replaced cost me $40 and that was from Auto Zone.... The dealer wanted more.....

CharlesS said:
Even though the oil pressure sending unit is not leaking YET.... It sounds like the sending unit is going bad.... Time to replace it.....

$10..... WHERE ?????
The ones I that I have replaced cost me $40 and that was from Auto Zone.... The dealer wanted more.....

Ouch.. I just looked it up again from Checker Auto. $16.99

YMMV?

i would start with the oil sending unit. thats the cheapest route. if that doesnt help, the pick up screen for the oil pump may be clogged. you can try to replace the pump and pick up tubu. but there may be some bearing damage done and then you will need a motor.

Back