• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who knows anyting about windshield glass?

Ralph

NAXJA Member #149
My windshield needs to be replaced. There are the places that sell the OEM quality glass and others that have the discount glass. Is there really that much difference between the quality of these windshilds? Should I have the seal replaced as well?

Thanks

Ralph said:
My windshield needs to be replaced. There are the places that sell the OEM quality glass and others that have the discount glass. Is there really that much difference between the quality of these windshilds? Should I have the seal replaced as well?

Thanks
I had an aftermarket windshield put in after flying rocks killed 2 of mine in 2 months. ANyways, it looked same (dark tint) as the OEM ones I had. Oh yeah... you probably want to do the seal too cause if it starts to leak you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it at the same time.

I think the cheap ones aren't as tough and are cracked by rocks more easily. Maybe I'm just suspicious.

PaulJ said:
I think the cheap ones aren't as tough and are cracked by rocks more easily. Maybe I'm just suspicious.
I had an oem glass damn near fall into 1000 pieces on a freeway from what looked like a pebble that got kicked up by a car in front of me. So I put in a cheap aftermarket one figuring I'd be better of swapping cheap windhields out then expensive ones.

I just had mine replaced last week. $151 for a nice aftermarket glass installed. I work in autobody and found some places sell 2nd quality glass.Look for a nice straight clear glass with no waves. I'm sure we've all seen the windsheilds that are like looking through bifocals making things look distorted.Most people just urethane the glass in, the later model Xj's have a rubber molding around the glass, it's not really a seal, I pull mine off before having the glass removed and was able to reuse it, think it cost about $22 if ya need it.

I got a new OEM one from Autoglassplus in the DFW area. The windshield was 250 but I had a coupon from the phone book for 75 off my deductable. So in the end it cost me 125 and they even came to my office to do the work. Also it is tinted and looks really good

slujeeper5 said:
hackedxj,
Did you have a local shop do it , or a chain? I have a large crack in mine and am looking to replace it. thanks

I use a local shop, guys been doing for 25 years or so, there's more skill involved to do a neat job than most people think, I've used chains before and found you might get a guy that worked at Hardee's last week, Some were fine but had on installer nearly totaled the dash and trim, scratched the roof paint,broke most of the cowl clips, left the wiper lose and it stripped out during a flood on the freeway, looked like a gorilla installed it,Since then I pay an etra 20 or so for a good reputation.

Sephrion said:
i may be dreaming but is there a plexiglass windshield for the XJ? or is it only for wranglers?
Windshield glass, by LAW has to be of laminated construction. (Two layers of glass with a piece of clear plastic film between the layers.) This construction prevents the glass from shattering into flying shards when a rock hits it. It also keeps unrestrained passengers from flying through the windshield in a frontal impact.

It is ILLEGAL to use anything but laminated glass on the windshield of a vehicle intended for road use. (it's also stupid, as you are removing a very important protection device for front seat passengers). :scared:

So, can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference in quality between OEM equivalent and the discount brands for windshields?

Ralph said:
So, can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference in quality between OEM equivalent and the discount brands for windshields?
What do you mean by quality difference? both will break eventually if they get nailed with a rock, both shatter and both of the darkened ones are just as dark. I had 2 OEM and 1 aftermarket and I didn't really see any difference and the latter one survived about 2 years or so till I rolled the jeep.

Ralph said:

Not really, except the dealer will rape you. They all have to meet certian FEDERAL SAFTEY STANDARDS. When someone refers to NAGS glass, its an industry standard they use, but most windshiled places use aftermarket replacements since they meet the guidelines established by the Feds. And they are alot CHEAPER.

AZ Jeff said:
Windshield glass, by LAW has to be of laminated construction. (Two layers of glass with a piece of clear plastic film between the layers.) This construction prevents the glass from shattering into flying shards when a rock hits it. It also keeps unrestrained passengers from flying through the windshield in a frontal impact.

It is ILLEGAL to use anything but laminated glass on the windshield of a vehicle intended for road use. (it's also stupid, as you are removing a very important protection device for front seat passengers). :scared:

but if you're intending to use it for an offroad only vehicle it is not illegal... maybe i should have mentioned i intended it for a offroad only vehicle...

Sephrion said:
but if you're intending to use it for an offroad only vehicle it is not illegal... maybe i should have mentioned i intended it for a offroad only vehicle...
Even more of a reason to use a laminated windshield. :anon:

Back