• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flip up rear Hatch Window

if you where a real good body man you might graft the rear window frame from a zj to an xj hatch. or check out a toyota four runner hatch they roll down and the size is probbly close. just some suggestions.

i don't think you can make the rear window to roll down.......the rear hatch is just a honeycomb of fiberglass.....there's no void like the side doors.
and that's before dealing with the big wiper motor!

Trust me you DO NOT want the aggravation of a roll down like Toyota's. I speak from experience when I say the the only week link other than IFS on the later trucks is the stupid tailgate. Tuff truck wimpy tailgate.

540ismiley said:
I just want it to flip up not roll down. Like the Liberty

the hardest part should be finding/grafting a wiper system that "tucks" up off the glass when not in use so you can lift the glass past it... pull your glass out, cut some lexan or plexi to play with (less fragile), find/fab a set of hinges for the top and a latch for the bottom (take a look at the 80-90 baby blazer);finally, install something puffy to seal the glass when it's closed.

I've never taken my rear glass out so I don't know the clearances, but you may need to build out the fiberglass to get the right overlap for a good seal. Either way you shouldn't be out more than $100, a trip to the junkyard and/or home depot, and a three day weekend.

Good luck and take lots of pics,
rO

I considered this modification to mine but I later ruled it out due the inability to reach anything inside on the rear floor at my lifted ride height. I eventually wanted a rear swingout spare tire carrier (that I now have) that would have interfered with the flipper glass.
Cost of the mod would be a killer too.

Roll-over said:
the hardest part should be finding/grafting a wiper system that "tucks" up off the glass when not in use so you can lift the glass past it...
What about the rear wiper assembly from a TJ hardtop? Might be a starting point...

You guys have a rear window wiper???

karstic said:
You guys have a rear window wiper???

well yeah, but it's kinda just for looks on mine... it don't wipe at all and the washer hose is missing so when i hit the washer button my BAD A$$ Jeep looks a little like a piglet taking a leak :) mabye that's what I'll fix this weekend

Roll-over said:
well yeah, but it's kinda just for looks on mine... it don't wipe at all and the washer hose is missing so when i hit the washer button my BAD A$$ Jeep looks a little like a piglet taking a leak :) mabye that's what I'll fix this weekend
best friends parents had a van that did that. we inproved it with a super soaker squert gun nozzle :thumbup:

Back