• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
i bought a front end off a guy that was a dana 30 with 4.56 and limit slip he said it was out of a 92. i own a 90 and i was switching in the new one but on the passanger side the rotor wont fit on. it will fit the driver side tho.. could i take my steering nucles off my old one fairly easy and put those on the new one so i could mount my brakes. is that possible please post your opionion if you have ever had this problem........thank you

There was a change in the front brakes somewhere around 90/91 (our 89 has one type, the 91 has the other). Main difference is in the thickness of the rotors in the flange area. I think if you use the newer type rotors it should work fine. However since one fits and one doesn't you might take a look at the wheel flanges and see if it didn't somehow get mismatched hubs (or is it the rotors). Also, is it hitting the caliper bracket or the ends of the slider bolts? I ran into a problem where I had to grind the tapered end off the slider bolts because they contacted the rotor. Later slider bolts did not have the tapered end.

Tony

the rear flat part of the rotor is rubbing on the mounting bracket for my caliper, so the rotor can't set in all the way and the difference from the mounting bracket to the end of the axle on the passenger side is 1/8 to 1/4 shorter than the driver side

I replace the front axle in my 90 with an axle from an 89 and thae brakes were different. I had to buy new rotors, pads and calipers for the new axle. I gues some 90s came with one kind and some with the other. also, the older one had different pins, so you will probably need those also.

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
i bought a front end off a guy that was a dana 30 with 4.56 and limit slip he said it was out of a 92. i own a 90 and i was switching in the new one but on the passanger side the rotor wont fit on. it will fit the driver side tho.. could i take my steering nucles off my old one fairly easy and put those on the new one so i could mount my brakes. is that possible please post your opionion if you have ever had this problem........thank you

I have had just about all kinds of D30's. So here it is.

Yes you can swap steering knuckles. I would suggest you do so. For the fact you can get the better brake pads with the later knuckles.

It's pretty simple to make it work either way. The rotors have to match the hubs. If you have earlier hubs you need earlier rotors and the reverse is true. As far as I know, all years after 91', hubs and rotores are the same and have no fitment issues. When I lookup part numbers they are the same.

I'm currently running an 88' D30, converted to a non- disconect, with 2001 TJ LP D30 steering knuckles.

I was going to run the 88's steering knuckles, but I would have had to put extra money in to brake parts that I already had.

Back