• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Question

dachner

NAXJA Forum User
I just realized that on 97+ vehicles, and maybe others, the AX-15 trannys had a mechanical fork release design. On my 88 XJ, it is hydraulic. I was wondering if anyone had ever changed the hydraulic system over to a mechanical one. If so, what all was involved? I am having a hell of a time with my clutch right now and am getting sick of the cheap hydraulics, please help!

dachner,
i've done exactly what you're talking about. my 89 had the internal slave cylinder which kept failing, so i got everything form the external design and switched it over. you'll need (hopefully i won't leave anything out):

1. later style bellhousing (try ebay)
2. clutch fork thing (dealer)
3. clutch (this is a bit tricky. i think you need the clutch from a year that used the external style. i didn't at first, but blew my clutch and replaced it with the later one with no problems yet.)
4.throwout bearing
5.hydraulic system (i used the sealed system from a tj that i got from the dealer. ~$75)
6.bearing retainer for the transmission. i don't know the price, but don't overlook this piece. i got mine from a place that rebuilds a lot of jeep trans.

i think that's all. once you get the parts its totally simple. it cost meabout $300 bucks altogether.

good luck!
dan f.

i have another question about the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. i was told that before putting a new one in you are supposed to bench bleed it, then bleed the lines when you install it. i have never done this because they always have the plastic tabs holding them compressed and the instructions say not to unhook the tabs, so i only bled it after install. does anyone know for certain the proper procedure here? i was told that the reason i cant get my slaves to work is because i am not bench bleeding them. thanks.

Danny boy, you gotta tell me where you got the hydro set up for $75, because it cost me $250 for mine!

The factory hydraulic system is all one peice, master, line, and slave. It comes prefilled and prebled, so there's no need to bleed it. Infact, I don't think you can bleed it, there are no fittings or anything on the assembly.

Yeah, but if you're swapping to an external slave set up you'll want to get the factory hydraulic assembly that's all one peice.

Back