• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio Problems

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
i finally got around to getting a new radio/cd player. the old one was stolen and all the bare ends were cut. i searched and came up with the colors and got everything figured out and wired up but the fawker wont turn on. If i press display on the cd player it turns on and shows the time and then after about 3 or 4 seconds it turns off. pressing the power button does nothing. also if i unplug it for a little bit, like 30 sec, and plug it back it, it turns on but says "see you" and then powers off. any one have any clue as to what the dang problem is?? ive been trying to get it to work for hours and im getting nowhere.

oh yea its a JVC if that helps at all.

sometimes if the radio is stolen the people who took it probobly yanked at it pretty far then cut it damagine the wires inside... that or you have a faulty cd player but i doubt that. check the wires and ssee if they all have power in them. some shud some shouldnt power obviously shud but the speaker wire shouldnt

There are 2 power leads. One for always on power, to maintain clock, memory, etc. and one that comes on with the key. Make sure you have bith connected and correct. Also make sure you have the ground wire connected.

Rev

well im fairly sure i have both power leads connected correctly and the ground because i can press the display button and it turns on and shows the time for a few seconds and shuts off. Do speakers have to be connected for it to work? i would think so but maybe?

87CherokeeChief said:
Do speakers have to be connected for it to work? i would think so but maybe?

It may. I used to have a Sony (CDX-4250 if memory serves) that would do something similar if there was a wiring fault to one of the speakers. Did you use an adapter loom, or wire directly to the existing wires?

i didnt wire it directly i have some adapter thingys.

for some reason the stereo only has wires for 4 speakers 2 power leads and a ground...i have 2 wires one that is a dimmer and another that is display or something like that and i have nowhere to hook them onto the stereo...

ok i exchanged it for a new unit and it does the exact same thing. i figured now that if i put a cd in it turns on and says "load" then shuts off. and then if i press the eject button it turns on and says "eject" then shuts off...

dimmer wires will be orange. The two power lines described earlier are;
red-power, this one is switched with the ignition, yellow-constant/memory, this is unswitched. I don't see how this would cause the problems you described, but you know. Make sure your antenna is plugged in, and get a good ground.

ok well i figured it out i got a little light thing to test wires to see if they are power. i found that when i had searched earlier and found wire colors and what they are for the power wire wasnt what it said so i went thru my wires and finally found the 2 wires for battery power and accesory power. thanks guys for the help

Hey

I tried doing the same thing in my 91. I took out the old stock radio and tried to put in my older('94) sony cd player. It did the same load, shut off thing everytime I tried to install it(3 different occassions).... I FINALLY got it to work when I bought the damn adapter harness thingy that you can get from either crutchfield or Fry's(Where I got mine but I had to buy a different one then the manual called for because the part numbers were screwed up by their catalog). All the wire colors matched and it's a matter of matching them up. I don't know what it did differently but it started working.

I have a 88 XJ and in the process of changing the radio. I got out the electrical troubleshooting manual to figure out how things are wired.

The wires in the 13 wire connector:
8 wires used for the 4 speakers
2 wires used for power, 1 continuous, 1 switched to the ignition
2 wires used for dimmer, 1 for the LCD display, 1 for the backlighting
1 wire for the power antenna

The ground wire attaches to the radio chassis with a spade terminal.

Now I'll list them out by connector pin, function, color & wire size:

1 LT RR SPKR FEED --- 20 GRN/WHT
2 LT FRT SPKR FEED --- 20 GRN
3 Power Antenna --- 18 GRY
4 Battery --- 18 RED/TAN
5 ACC/IGN --- 18 VIO/ORN
6 RT FRT SPKR FEED --- 20 WHT
7 RT RR SPKR FEED --- 20 WHT/BLK
8 RT RR SPKR RETURN --- 20 BLK
9 RT FRT SPKR RETURN --- 20 BLK
10 Panel Dimmer --- 18 ORN/WHT
11 LCD Dimmer --- 18 BLU
12 LT FRT SPKR RETURN --- 20 BLK/YEL
13 LT RR SPKR RETURN --- 20 BRN/WHT

The ground is a 18 BLK

I there can always be a change from the publishing book and what they built, but hope it helps. You may want to use your fade & L/R controls to make sure you have all the speakers hooked up correctly.

you got a speaker grounding out. one of the speaker leads is either touching the metal or another ground wire causing the speaker to ground out causeing you to have power but no sound... check all of your wires and you will find one touching ground... good luck

Back