• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Column interlock

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
you know when you take the key out of the ignition it is supposed to lock in place (no turning). I wheeled the XJ yesterday with alot of hills and rocks and flex and it no longer locks the column up. Not that much of a concern right now, but i dont want this thing locking up when i am driving (would that be possible/plausible?)

anyway, how would I go about fixing this

98XJ auto

jneary said:
the steering column is not serviceable. it would have to be replaced.
That's not completely true. THe locking mechanism is servicable: I have taken my column appart when I pulled the auto interlock mechanism and I put the manual stuff in and I had the interlock working. THen I had to take it appart and put it back one more time and I think I missed a spring or something so I'll take a look at it again. I will have to look in my FSM and see what I'm missing, but it should be fixable. ANyways, I'll post more when I get around to it: now my main objective is to get the beast rolling again.

LouisianaZJ said:
thanks, I have the XJ FSM as well, but it did not really go into detail on repairing it
Look also in the ignition part of the FSM as that's all tied in together and key's presence or lack is what is related to the steering wheel locking or not.

Back