• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking noise??

willyb

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased my 2nd XJ - It's a '97 Country 4x4/NP242/8.25/162,000miles. I'm getting a clunking noise, and feel (can be felt through the floorboard) on takeoff, and when just coming to a stop. It can also be felt over some bumps. I've had it on a lift, all U-joints check out, nothing broken/loose. But the control arm bushings are getting deteriorated/cracked. I assume that this is where my noise is coming from. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has any other ideas...

Thanks.

Will.

You have one of the following.

1. Control arm bushings are bad
2. Control arm bolts loose
3. Track bar loose

Do a search on those and you will find what you need.

Check the tightness of your control arm bolts.

And check the crossmember bolts - 2 on each side. Also check the bolts in the middle of the crossmember that attach to the tranny mount.

I have the exact same problem, and replaced my lower front control arms with brand new ones from the dealership. The noise is just as bad. I also replaced one of my stabilizer bar links and all the link bushings on both sides. My mechanic tried to fix it and tightened all my frame bolts. Still does it. Let me know if you manage to fix it!

i had the same on my 94 and this is how i fixed it. i torqued the trac bar mount 10lbs over the man. spec. replaced the sway bar bushings and end links. that seemed to solve my problem. give it a shop. the bushings and end links cost me close to $20-25. money well spent. use the rubber ones and spray the sway bar and the bushings with a water dish detergent mixture. DO NOT USE OIL. oil and ruber do not mix very well. the rubber likes to get very very soft. good luck hth
shawn

Back