• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo carrier?

remat

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I am going on a trip with some friends and need more storage space. Does anyone have or recommend a luggage rack cargo carrier? (Do they still make those things?)

thanks

Do you mean a fiberglass cargo box? Thule, Yakima, Saris, and Performance all make them. But they're frickin' expensive. Sometimes you can find them on E-bay, but they seem to be in high demand.

I was in the same boat. I'm leaving on a road trip up to British Columbia this week (I'll be passing through your city). I ended up getting a Thule Quest cargo bag that goes on the roof. Holds 15 cu. ft. of gear.

while i have never had any thing like that on my rack. i did put a 30 or 36' fiberglass ladder up there once, and i wasn't to ashured with it being up there. unless my rack was used a lot by it prevous owner it isn't very strong and it didn't like the waight. it nover broke but the bowing was not very ashuring. i'm pretty shure that the plastic ones sit on the bars, but i think that one from wall-mart will sit directly on the roof. this is just somthing to think about while looking for a cargo carier. somthing else to consider is a tow hich basket. i was thinking of getting a front hich and using it for that perpose along with it being a great place to hook to during extractions. just dont forget about the basket being on there at stop lights and parking lots, lol.

Don´t know what exactly what you want to pack up there. But with the stock roof rack, I`ve had good luck with military duffle bags (cheap at the surplus store). Clothes, boots camping gear, use garbage bags for a waterproof liner. I´ve had six up there, tied across the side rails, sitting right on the roof, with the straps and closing clip, wraped around the cross bars as insurance. Could grab the whole load and shake it, the XJ would move, tied nice and tight, a solid load.
Only problem I had was the carry straps for the duffle bags, flapped in the wind. Next time I´ll duct tape them down. I´d also probably be carefull about rubbing, possible it could damge the paint on the roof (the least of my worries). Didn´t dent anything or cause any major problems what so ever.
Used a gutter mount roof rack once, my gutter chromed covers would never stay put after that (tried bending the clips every which way). Guess it bent them just enough, they wouldn´t hold anymore. Probably should have siliconed them on, they are gone with the wind now.

Have you considered a steel cargo carrier that goes in your hitch (if you've got hitch). I've been looking at them lately to use for hauling firewood to the campsite. You can usually pick them up for less then $150. They even make them that are completely enclosed and swing away like a tire carrier, but they're pricey.

I'm just reluctant to put anything on the roof for gas mileage purposes.

Back