• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help

xjjeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed my 3" BDS lift yesterday along with a superlift adj track bar ,track bar is heim joint style.Things went really well on the install my XJ is 2001 with only 20,000 miles on it.Now my problem when i turn to the right or hit a bump i get a noise in the left front sounds like the coil spring making a twanging sound like something is hitting it. Not sure what it is checked and rechecked everything all seems tight. Any help out there please.

It could be the coil spring snagging on the flared lip of the bumpstop "cup"? Look for evidence of rubbing on the spring.

It may be a PITA now, but if that's what it is... I'd remove the stops and grind the lip off. One might could get it with a die grinder while they are still installed :dunno:

logdog said:
I'll bet the spring is hitting your sway bar

I thought of that too...

If contact isn't readily visible, a little typing correction fluid, nail polish, model paint etc... painted over suspect areas can help point out the bind.

OK guys thanks for the info. This morning laying on the ground under the left side and pushing up on the jeep i hear the spring make noise physcially not seeing anything hit and only seems to do it when the spring extends it self.
Did the same on the right side no noise. I know the shocks are new but is it possible i have a bad one? Thought maybe its not seating right on the bottom spring mount not sure what it is. Thanks again any info is helpfull.

Any more helpfull suggestions please

could be that super lift track bar the hyme joint on mine creaks alot. more-so after an exscersion in the mud or silty rain puddles. it started doing this shortly after instalation if it is that and you contact super lift they might send you a new one. they offered to send me one but i decliened, [it dosn't seem like it could come apart and when it finly wears out i want to get a greasable one] and asked for a new polly bushing for the axle side insted 'cause that was bad too.

I definately had that EXACT same noise. sound like someone's hitting the coil with a big'ol rubber mallet? mine turned out to be one of the pins for the swaybars discos catching on the spring. i just replaced that one pin with a different style that wouldn't be able to interfere with the spring. the old one could kinda float back and forth a bit so that it only happened sometimes. my discos are the kind that have the removable center section, not the JKS ones. i know what you mean by that "spring twanging" noise though. for something so damn obvious i'd like to tell you that i found it right away. nope, i went under there like 4 times before i finally got it.
-mike

Thanks dude thats exactly what it sounds like a mallet hitting the spring i havent lenghthened my sway links yet or done discos i might this weekend disconnect the sway bar and see if the noise stops thanks to all that replied

Back