• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temperature gauge install??

climberjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 that has a habit of overheating on the trail, but I only have an idiot light. How hard is it to install a temp gauge on my engine? Is it easier just to swap in a gauge cluster with the temp gauge already in, or should I go with an aftermarket one?

Also, when it overheats I sometimes get a check engine light, but no temp light. Someone told me this was due to a bad O2 sensor. I am running Borla headers, so that might be it. Is this possible? Thx.
:woohoo:

Starboard M said:
Bump for you.
I was wondering the same thing. When my Jeep overheated, the light never came on, so it mush be defective.

The light is either burnt out or your temp sensor on the intake manifold has gone out. You will have to change out your temp sensor to get the gauge cluster to read the temp. I think I had to change the oil presure sensor also.

I bought a gauge cluster from the junk yard for 50 bucks or so. Then I bought a new oil and temp sensor from autozone. Everything plugged right in. Easy swap. However all of my gauges are off a little. My gauge reads about 220 all the time but if you take a measurement off the head it is about 190. I think it is a bad ground somewhere but i have been too lazy to find it.

Aftermarket is not that expensive and is pretty accurate.
This gauge pod was ~$30. The Gauges were about $50 each. Easy mounting and temp sender was no problem. I added my sensor in the water neck. My Aftermarket fuel injection has a sensor in the head, So between the two it gives a pretty accurate reading.
I also added a kill switch to turn them off when Im cruising at highway speeds or at night. The gauges are Nordskog, Not the best but great for the money and I wanted the Digital readout for easy viewing.
gauges.jpg

Thats a sweet install, I might consider something like that. I too had my temperature gauge tested and mine is not accurate. 220-225 on the gauge is really 195-200.

if you purchase guages, manuel guages are the best. the electrical guages can have so many problems - ie. shorting, wires melting, crapy connectors, improper sheilding for an octane environment...
i am a believer that the old style guage with no elcetrical required is a much better idea allowing a true reading so you dont get things like

Lonestar said:
My gauge reads about 220 all the time but if you take a measurement off the head it is about 190. I think it is a bad ground somewhere but i have been too lazy to find it.
no offence, but i would rather just not putz with stuff like that

happy huntings!

this icon looks cool --->Hasta

Back