• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine light

slujeeper5

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody,
A few days ago the check engine light came on in my 73000 mile-ed 98. I checked the fluids, they seem ok. The light comes on when the key is in the run position, when the engine is not actually running. I did the " hold the odo button, turn on key then back off" trick and the number 2.3 shows up on the readout. My engine seems to run rough too, maybe its related? any ideas?

oh hey one more thing--
I had some work done while it was under warranty and they ended up replacing the rear driveshaft. I'm pretty sure they had the t-case apart while doing this, because at first they told me the internals of the case looked ok. But now, i get a knocking noise from the t case/t case linkage, and if i pust the lever forward or backward a little bit i get a grinding noise. do they all do that? thanks.

Last edited:
23 is "Intake air temp or circuit". Check the resistance of the Intake Air components with a 10K ohmmeter and compare to specs from repair manual. Second part is - Take it back. I have a 98 and it doesn't do that at all.

Last edited:
slujeeper5 said:
I had some work done while it was under warranty and they ended up replacing the rear driveshaft. I'm pretty sure they had the t-case apart while doing this, because at first they told me the internals of the case looked ok. But now, i get a knocking noise from the t case/t case linkage, and if i pust the lever forward or backward a little bit i get a grinding noise. do they all do that? thanks.

Why would they take the tcase appart? This sounds kind of fishy... When does it do the knocking sound? and also it sounds like your linkage might not be adjusted properly: does it go to 4L 4H and 2H without any problems?

kejtar,
They took the tcase apart because they were trying to find the source of a bad vibration at any speed above 50 mph. I bought it used, and bought the "gold" warranty, so (mistake number 1) I took it back to the non-jeep dealership that i bought it from. they poked at it for two weeks and then gave it to a jeep dealership down the road that fixed it in about 3 days. Yes, it goes into the other gears alright, but it does seem to take a little too much effort. It does the knocking sound pretty much whenever it wants. If I shake the lever a little or move it a bit sometimes it will stop though. Hey thanks bloodshdr ill check that out.

Should go between 2WD and 4WD and back really easily. You have to stop to put in 4Lo. If a Jeep dealer worked on it, they'll probably make it good. Last resort, there's a 99 parting out in Sale forum.

slujeeper5 said:
kejtar,
They took the tcase apart because they were trying to find the source of a bad vibration at any speed above 50 mph. I bought it used, and bought the "gold" warranty, so (mistake number 1) I took it back to the non-jeep dealership that i bought it from. they poked at it for two weeks and then gave it to a jeep dealership down the road that fixed it in about 3 days. Yes, it goes into the other gears alright, but it does seem to take a little too much effort. It does the knocking sound pretty much whenever it wants. If I shake the lever a little or move it a bit sometimes it will stop though. Hey thanks bloodshdr ill check that out.
OK, IIRC there was a service bulletin about potentially notice tcase shifters. I do not remember what years it applied to though.
Also there is a a chance that whoever took the case appart didn't put it back together right. So, who took appart the case? Dealer or the other shop? Either case I'd go back to the dealer and tell them: you guys worked on it and fixed this problem which is great, but now I got whole sorts of other problems which outweigh the original problem.
Good luck.

Back