• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 740- figure it is more related to Mods

LT1XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am getting a code of 700 and 740 on a 99 cherokee. I am guessing it has to do with the fact that it has 31's and stock gearing, speedo gear, etc. Is this correct. It looksl ike the 700 is a general code set because of the 740.
Any thoughts?
Dustin

i may be wrong on this, but codes are only two digits long [23-37-55 ect]. also my 31's with the stock gearing didn't set any codes on my 2000 in fact my spedo is less than a mile off [ don't understand how with the larger tires].

Last edited:
scoobyxj said:
i may be wrong on this, but codes are only two digits long [23-37-55 ect]. also my 31's with the stock gearing didn't set any codes on my 2000 in fact my spedo is less than a mile off [ don't understand how with the larger tires].
ACtually new ones are 4 digits: the first being a 0 or 1 determines if it's a manufacter specific code or generic. Second determins where it lies (7 is transmission)

700 is: This SBEC III or JTEC DTC indicates that the EATX or
Aisin controller has an active fault and has illuminated the
MIL via a CCD (EATX) or SCI (Aisin) message. The
specific fault must be acquired from the EATX via CCD or
from the Aisin via ISO-9141.

740: Relationship between engine and vehicle speeds
indicated failure of torque convertor clutch lock-up system
(TCC/PTU solenoid)

Last edited:
scoobyxj said:
also my 31's with the stock gearing didn't set any codes on my 2000 in fact my spedo is less than a mile off [ don't understand how with the larger tires].

my stock gearing and 31's on my '94 have my speedo reading less than a mile over... but with stock tires i was 4-5 under.

How do you get the code? Does it require some kind of special equipment?

Robert

XJWheelie said:
How do you get the code? Does it require some kind of special equipment?

Robert
Depending on your year you can do the key on key off (look here). Some years (like my 98) actually is a year in between where for a while the key test doesn't work so I bought a $100.00 code reader where I can read codes and reset them as necessary.

[QUOTE=Kejtar]ACtually new ones are 4 digits: the first being a 0 or 1 determines if it's a manufacter specific code or generic. Second determins where it lies (7 is transmission)

700 is: This SBEC III or JTEC DTC indicates that the EATX or
Aisin controller has an active fault and has illuminated the
MIL via a CCD (EATX) or SCI (Aisin) message. The
specific fault must be acquired from the EATX via CCD or
from the Aisin via ISO-9141.

740: Relationship between engine and vehicle speeds
indicated failure of torque convertor clutch lock-up system
(TCC/PTU solenoid)[/QUOTE]thanks for correcting my line of bs. i was just using the line of codes that my old 93 plymouth voyager would give. they was all two digits long[CE light flashing]. i have never tried to read the codes on my 2000. i did read a thred on how, and as i understand, they read out on the odometer, correct?

Kejtar said:
Depending on your year you can do the key on key off (look here). Some years (like my 98) actually is a year in between where for a while the key test doesn't work so I bought a $100.00 code reader where I can read codes and reset them as necessary.

The key test didn't work on my 2001 either. Where did you buy the code reader and will the code reader also allow me to turn the check engine light off?

Robert

XJWheelie said:
The key test didn't work on my 2001 either. Where did you buy the code reader and will the code reader also allow me to turn the check engine light off?

Robert
You can buy them in PepBoyd, Kragen and other automotive shops. Btw, it will allow to reset the light but if you still got a problem the code will come back and the light will come back.

XJWheelie said:

Robert

Off the internet, autozone, ebay, etc. But clearing your codes will NOT fix any problem!! You have to repair the problem!!!!!

bottleworks said:
Off the internet, autozone, ebay, etc. But clearing your codes will NOT fix any problem!! You have to repair the problem!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder, but I know that it won't fix the problem, but I'd like to be able to see what it is so that maybe I can fix it myself. On my 2001 the check engine light comes on each summer when I go to Colorado. The shop that I took it to traced it to my gas cap coming loose with the atmospheric pressure change. The last 2 years that I've gone to CO they've re-set it for me and it doesn't come back on until the next summer when I go again. Fortunately they haven't charged me anything!

Robert

Well, I use a snap on 2500 and an auto xray. The auto xray is every bit as functional as the snap on and a lot cheaper. Still more than a basic reader, but a lot more functionality.
So, anybody get a 740, what fixed it?
The guy had apparently been clearing the code thinking it was just an o2 sensor code, well, there was also the 700, 740 code. It keeps returning, so there is definitely a problem.
TIA,
Dustin

Back